Teaching with Parkinsons

Guess I've come across this thread quite late, but it's uncanny, (maybe). I was a teacher for 30+ years, had a long spell of physio for frozen shoulder, depression and other stress-related symptoms, before my diagnosis in 2009. Maybe writing on the board did cause the shoulder problem, and my handwriting now wouldn't be any use to the special needs adults I used to teach.Is there any formal research into why so many of us Parkys are/were teachers?
And another...
I developed a frozen shoulder, was operated on in 1999 and in 2000 I was diagnosed with PD at the age of 47. At the time I was Head of Geography in a large FE college.I continued to work on an 80% timetable, but I also worked as a Deputy Chief Examiner for Geography. Looking back, it was excessive, but the 6 years that I worked with PD entitled me to a gererous ill-health pension; the last of its kind before they were reformed in 2007.
Retirement has beenn happy and productive; I set up a local PD support group in 2007mand have written 3 Geography text books.

Why are there so many teachers with PD?
Exposure to bugs sounds likely.But also.......
THE BANDA MACHINE has a lot to answer for.If you taught in the 70s and 80s before the photocopier you would have been running off copies every day; I was banda-mad being a Geographer and maybe inhaling the fumes from the Banda fkuid started to kill off my brain cells.
Anyone else used a Banda?
Yes I taught in the 70 s and 80 s and used a Banda machine a lot - very interesting, have not heard that before

samdog
Hi
It's a while since I started this thread. Tonight I typed 'Teaching with Parkinson's' into google and this was the top suggestion!
Once I overcame my shock and the pride had worn off it made me think that there should be more for us.
Does anyone know of any support group, online or real for teachers with Pd?
Hi
I'm very late to this thread.

I teach maths as well. It didn't start with a frozen shoulder but with severe pins and needles through my right arm and intermittent loss of the blood supply to my hand. It got investigated as thoracic outlet syndrome for about a year before I got passed to neurology (first appointment as a possible diagnosis of parkinsonism given nearly 2 weeks ago - just waiting for a DATscan). I'm 44 this year.

Looking back there have been signs of problems for a number of years - voice problems and general muscle problems and on-off balance problems. I was doing a lot of exercise when the arm symptoms first started (about 8-11 hours a week of exercise classes and I was very fit and able to do cartwheels and handsprings) and my osteopath sent me to get my neck checked out - worn discs but apparently nothing really major. I had also had a bad couple of years with stressful things happening and also had got what I think was swine flu that turned into severe bronchitis. I also had a wisdom tooth out under general anaesthetic and a larynx investigation under a GA a year later.

My employers have been a nightmare - lack of reasonable adjustments (even with AtW involvement - they did some things but not others that would have made a huge difference), pressure to go off work and then I was sent home out of the blue and not allowed back for several months - not suspended, just not allowed to work and eventually ended up on half-pay (about to go to no pay). I have had several medics say that I can work with reasonable adjustments and make suggestions about phased returns etc. but the school seems to want me back FT by the 4th week or to go PT - their idea of PT is for me to do 65% of teaching, 70% of form-tutoring, 100% of marking (they haven't taken any full classes away) on 30% of the non-contact time and 56% of the pay.

I had thought my union was being good until the last 3 weeks - they have helped me with negotiations, grievance, appeal about grievance but now that the school are still being a inflexible they seem to be giving up and saying what can we do? I have a huge amount of evidence about the discrimination I've gone through, including a lot that I consider to be bullying and harassment and I don't want to wait to lose my job before taking legal action as I think it will be virtually impossible for me to get another job and I'm not sure whether I will be able to work for the same LEA if I lose this job and anywhere else would be impossible for me to travel to as I can no longer drive and find it difficult to use public transport for distances at the moment.

I just feel so fed up at the moment - I want to continue working as I am the breadwinner but the school need informing of their legal responsibilities.
Hi all, another latecomer.

I am/was a science teacher in a london comp currently 2 months in
to sick leave having had a confirmed diagnosis about 3 months ago from brain scans.

Symptoms started with a trembling hand about a year ago, my doc said it was only 'essential tremor' and I shouldn't be worried then about 6 months ago I noticed my writing become smaller and smaller also another tremor in one leg appeared. I also found the strength of my voice weakening and as another poster mentioned I found my authority weakening and kids picking up on it. Planning became really difficult with it taking longer and longer and with the school expecting an inspection I found the trembling increasing. I know some of the support staff must have noticed, I was forgetting things essential teaching points and losing worksheets on my desk!!
In one demo I was pouring from a measuring cylinder into a beaker and they were banging together so hard I'm surprised they didn't break. Kids watching with open mouths!!

Anyway about 3 days before feb half term ago I had a really hard day and I found myself shaking badly all evening and that's when I realised it was silly carrying on and I banged out an email to my head who signed me off sick.

My head was very sympathetic and I am now on full and 6 months half pay if all goes well.

I sometimes entertain thought of asking to possibly come back but perhaps in another role, I couldn't handle class teaching though. However as I am writing this something that can only be described as severe butterflies are rumbling around my stomach/thorax area and one hand is jumping around. Going back, perhaps not.

As I'm just approaching 60 it would seem an appropriate time to pack it in, I was however originally hoping to put in 3 more years as I only have 13 teaching years, but c'est la vie

Currently on Rasagilin, doesn't seem to be doing to much yet but my symptoms are quite manageable away from work, the hand tremor being the most annoying, hope it stays that way.

Anyway hope you are all keeping as well as can be and as Robbert Crumb said 'Keep on truckin'.
Hi jakeb

I hope you are well.

Is there any way that the school could accommodate you in a different role? I know that there were instances where our school moved teachers into admin roles near retirement. It does sound like you don't particularly want to teach any longer and a different role may be an alternative.

Best wishes
Emilyisobel
Hi Emily,

Thanks for the reply, yes I do not see myself teaching again, stress of any sort seems to be a Parkinson's magnifier I don't relish the thought of being observed in my present condition. I toyed with asking about being moved to an administrative role but I think that it is unlikely. I will wait however until I have seen the occupational health doctor and his assessment.

Sorry to hear your school is being such a monumental pain. Hope there is an eventual resolution in your favour.

best wishes jakeb
Hi Jakeb
I am so sorry that you are in such a dilemma.
Have you consulted your union and The Teachers'Pension scheme?
I left teaching 8 years ago but the Teachers' Pension Service was still offering good enhancement to the pension if you retired on ill-health.
An improved pension may let you find part-time work to top it up in a less stressful environment.
Good luck!
GG
Hi GG,

tks for the support, I am on sick leave till next march then on to my Teachers pension. Hopefully I may have a chance of some other work outside teaching to top up my pension.

Cheers

jakeb
I retired from teaching when I was 60 but I was not diagnosed with idiopathic parkinsons until several years later. I did suffer from stress from time to time but was never treated and did not take time off. Is teaching a high risk career for parkinsons? Is it stress related?
I am 31 and was diagnosed 2 years ago in Aug. I have worked in education since I 2004, in a number of roles, and I am now a Senior Tutor (1/4 teaching / classroom and 3/4 Pastoral Care for 100+ 16-19yr olds in an FE College).

Access to work have been great and I have been given the things mentioned in this thread. I am due to go to OC Health this week for reasons I am not sure of, but I guess just to review and for work to cover themselves.

I have had time off (bad days and new med transition phases) in the past and get tired in the afternoons. I am slow in the morning and get going towards the time my second med is due (Stalevo). Some days are better than others. Writing a real problem, typing has got better on Stelevo (Dragon Speak waiting in the wings when the time comes that I need it) and my major worry is tripping and possibly falling. I limp and drag/scrape my right foot/leg on days I really feel tired and I lunge forward in the hope that I recover and dont fall over (in front of a load of students!).

I am torn between using the lift more vs. 'If you dont use it - you lose it!'

I work FT and have been in this job almost 5 1/2 years.

I am facing a career continuing with PD and all it throws at me each day as I try to work in a very demanding and active role.

How long I will work for is anyones guess - am I still in the 'honeymoon' period post-pd diagnosis?... Yes, I think I am.

When will the honeymoon end? :confused:
Hi tapehead,

I've been through an Occ'Health assessment. For the most part it was very similar to a routine visit to the Neuro. One question they did ask was could I evacuate a building in the event of an emergency, reading your post it might worth some thought beforehand.

Ref the stairs lift dilemma, are you more confident going up or down the stairs? Maybe you could go stairs for your best direction and lift for the other?

Do your students know your have PD? If they don't know maybe you could consider telling them? I've pretty much told everyman and his dog I've got PD and have been pleasntly surprised by the support and assistance available when I ask for it.

Ref the meds it does seem in a few cases almost trial and error, maybe your optimum type and level of meds is yet to be found?

Like you I'm employed and still working FT, but now in a support role as opposed to frontline like before PD made things difficult. I aim to keep on doing as much as I can for as long as I can, especially as I'm still only 49.

Regards Tractorman.

Hi Mathsman!

I teach English in a grammar school and my Head has been highly supportive of my recently diagnosed PD and has made lots of adaptations and changes to help me in the workplace!

Best wishes, Charliefox

Hi - also taught in a grammar until this summer hols (5 more days to go!!) finally diagnosed about 3 months ago, following a year and a half of various assessments; my Head has been brilliantly supportive and the kids have just found out and have been so kind.  TP were also quite efficient too, so I guess I'm quite lucky all round really, as I've just got Total Incap. pension award whilst still F/T post - is this really that rare, as opposed to being granted this whilst on long-term sick leave?   Best wishes.

Dear Tapehead and any teachers on this forum. Your message is very relevant for me even though its is 6 yrs old. I am seeking ideas to launch requests for reasonable adjustments, and potentially different roles as, if i understand correctly, tapehead has mentioned.