Think before you post, YouTube and Duplicates

Think before you post

We’ve received an increasing number of requests lately to remove an individual posts or a series of posts because the author would prefer it not to be there for one reason or another. In some cases, this is because a user may have changed their mind about posting or fear that their employers may be able to view the posts.

Please think before posting. Remember that the information you post can be viewed by the public and can be found via search engines.

Because of limited resources and because it can be disruptive to the flow of conversation on the forum, we will not normally remove posts at users’ request.

Links to YouTube, etc

You may have noted on a recent thread (Music Zone) over the weekend that links to YouTube videos were removed. To clarify the position on links: Links that have a clear link to Parkinson’s are fine on the forum as long as they are not solely for the purposes of advertising. We will normally remove links that don’t meet this criteria. This is because in the past, there have been links to borderline or inappropriate material and it is extremely difficult for our moderators to review all third party website that users may link to.

We do know that this may spoil the fun a bit however, as one user pointed out, you can still discuss your favourite music and can copy the names of songs into the search facility on YouTube or other music sources.

Duplicates

We’ve also had an increasing number of duplicate posts recently. There has been some discussion of this in the past but could users feedback about why this is happening? We would like to explore whether there is any way we can improve the forum so that this does not happen.

Thanks,
Ezinda
I have posted on this businees of ending up with duplicate posts before and it was very difficult to explain as everyone has their own way of navigating and people don't always navigate in the same way every time but this is why it happened to me:

1) I type my post and press the send message button

2) The thread appears with my message on it.

3) I use the mouse and click right and then "back" in the resultant options box which takes me back to the "post a reply" box, and use the same right click and "back" method to return via the thread I posted on and back to the latest activity on the forum.

As I am navigating back when I get to the thread I posted on the post has gone. I now know that it has not really gone and once in the latest activity if I go forward to the thread in question there is my post
Ezinda

I tried to send the above post as a direct message and twice got the message that the server would not allow it and got thrown off the site to boot.

Also the reason I navigate back the way I do was because I found (it may not be so now) that I lost my choice of 12/12 or whatever hours and did not always notice it.
I occasionally duplicate posts - mainly because I have a "clicky mouse finger" that clicks merrily away without my permission!
I know why there are duplicates. I pressed 'Post' several times quite quickly.

That'll be why the admin person was complaining about it.

The reason there are so many are

a) the site was a bit slow, so I clicked on Post several times thinking nothing was happening.

b) I've got parkinsons so I always click the Posy button several times.

c) All of the above.

Maybe the author of the site could disable the Post button after the first post has been made to render further attempts futile.

Just an idea.
For those who often double-enter due to shaky "PD fingers" your pc should have the facility to change the setting for the minimum time between keyboard or mouse "enters".

If you're getting a very very slow response you'll only make things worse if you repeatedly hit the same button in frustration (though understandable!), as you'll just be adding even more network traffic to the system.

There are dozens of points along the line at which bottlenecks can arise, and which can as a result cause long delays of several minutes or more every time you initiate a transaction:

1. Your own pc may be having trouble coping (maybe you're running too many windows);

2. Your router may be overloaded if you have other users using it;

3. The telecoms (BT?) line into your property may have insufficient capacity;

4. The route your comms supplier takes to get to the website you want - and this can change all the time due to demand - will have scores of potential bottleneck points en route;

5. Each of the various servers which will handle your transaction could get overloaded;

6. Your target website could have hardware problems;

7. The target site could have comms software problems (e.g. Explorer etc);

8. The website itself (in this case this forum) may be overloaded;

9. All the above potential hold-ups exist on the "way back", i.e. as the website application sends you a response.
We've had the technical people take a look at the duplicates issue and they have come up with a solution.

You will note that you can only press 'post' once. After this, the button disappears so "clicky mouse finger" no longer results in duplicates.

This should address at least some of the concerns around the issue.

Try it and see...

ok
you're right!
I useed to click the mouse harder, but it doesn't help ! :fearful:
Think before you post

We’ve received an increasing number of requests lately to remove an individual posts or a series of posts because the author would prefer it not to be there for one reason or another. In some cases, this is because a user may have changed their mind about posting or fear that their employers may be able to view the posts.

Please think before posting. Remember that the information you post can be viewed by the public and can be found via search engines.

Because of limited resources and because it can be disruptive to the flow of conversation on the forum, we will not normally remove posts at users’ request.

Sorry, but this is a feeble response. It can certainly be done, and is done on other sites.

The reason that I do not post on here very much/as much as I used to, is down to just that reason. Google a phrase or even the site or your user name and ALL posts by you are available to view on the web.

This is how many of my personal details were found by a member of another forum that I use. I posted a poem, innocently enough, which led them to track me down from the information contained in that to my home town and family details. They narrowed me down to 12 people..............a small enough group for me to be concerned about, IMO.

Now I never post personal stuff in any form and I urge others to take care in what they post. Thankfully, the person that tracked me down did not use the information for any gain. It might not always be the case.

This forum is way behind the times in respect of other forums that I use.

No edit facility.
Recent posts for only 48 hours, not since last visit.
No PM facility without revealing your e mail address.
No chat room.
Admin cannot or will not delete posts as requested by members.

As I have said before, there are better 'free' forums than this one, which must have cost a great deal of money and does not live up to expectations, and does not provide the facilities that are expected on a site supported and maintained by a national charity.
Hi Benji
I agree with u that some things cd be improved. I dont come on the site every other day and therefore feel i miss a lot of posts that cd be of interest. 48 hours of latest activity just isnt enough. Even 7 days wd be an improvement. That way i cd log in once a week and check for relevant topics and postings. I dont have the time or energy to trawl through the search engine!
Hope u are coping!
Carrot :rolling_eyes:
Hi Carrot, nice to see you here.

Same sentiments to you, things deteriorating here but managing to cope, some of the time.

e mail me
Not surprised to see that Admin. did not take up on my post, or reply.