Treatment centre in italy

Hi

The costs are listed on their website under Therapy Packages. They also give hotel prices.

christine

Going to Italy tomorrow. Will post when back!

S. 

Thanks. Must have missed that bit. 

How did it go supa? Been thinking of you 

Brilliant.

Have sent PM.

S

Hello Everybody 

I returned yesterday from Italy, and a week at the European Parkinson Therapy Centre. No miracle cure, but definitely worth the effort of travelling. Lots of psychological support and daily one to one physical therapy. Rigorous exercise plan to continue at home which should continue to build on initial improvements in reducing freezing and speeding up gait initiation. And my partner benefitted tremendously, plus he knows exactly how I should do each exercise, and will keep me at it !

As an example, when on my treadmill at home I had been using it only as a fitness aid, so walking fast. However, to improve my step length and leg strength and therefore balance, I need to set it to the slowest speed and as I walk must check my posture is upright and head up, (so a crown would not fall off), lift each knee equally high, and stretch each leg out and land heel first. This is actually much harder work, using core and back muscles. Aim to develop this by taking one hand off the supports, then both hands, walking sideways, walking backwards. Lots and lots and lots of practice needed.

That is just one set of exercises tailored for me. In all, it has been the best support and advice since diagnosis. Everyone has different issues, and following assessment receives a highly personal program. I am so glad we went. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

S

Hi Supa

Great to hear of your experience in Italy. I am seriously considering going to the centre. Were there any language difficulties? How long were the 1:1 sessions each day

christine

Hi Chrissie

The one to one sessions are 1 and a half hours each morning. Ours were mostly10:30 to 12.00, but timing may depend on how many visitors are there. Good English is spoken by the trainers. Alex, who runs the centre is English. Sara, who organised bookings by email, has good command of English and made everything very easy!

Several afternoons there are other invaluable support sessions, such as nutrition, psychology, cognitive therapy, relaxation, living with Parkinson’s, usually at about 4pm. 

We found that hotel staff and reception do not speak much English but this was overcome by sign language and use of a phrase book. It did result in some unexpected food choices!

At Bergamo Airport special assistance was brilliant!

S