Underlying health conditions

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Yes i was watching this and had the same concerns . Im 62 and still working … does this mean i should stay home if parkinsons counts as high risk . I wasn’t anxious till i heard this GP but i am now

Yes, I saw that too.

She gave a list of all the conditions that put people at the most risk of dying after catching COVID-19
And Parkinson’s was on that list, along with other neurological diseases.

It would be helpful to know if the GP was correct or not.

I’ve asked the BBC for a comment, but typically had no reply.

The Parkinson’s UK page on coronavirus (which has link at the top of the forum page) says this:

“In the more advanced stages of Parkinson’s, there’s a slight increased risk of complications if you have coronavirus. This is the same for other viruses, such as the flu.”

I’d taken this as meaning that for those in the early stages there is no added risk but maybe I’m misinterpreting?

Hi @GentechE1,

We recently received updates from the government and we’ve been advised that some groups of people do have an increased risk of severe illness if they get coronavirus. These groups include everyone over 70, people who are pregnant, and people with certain conditions. This includes Parkinson’s.

Therefore, it is advised that people with the condition should limit face to face interaction and follow strict social distancing - there’s more information on this via our website here: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/news/understanding-coronavirus-and-parkinsons#coronavirussocialdistancing.

If you have any further questions, please contact our helpline on 0808 800 0303 or email us at [email protected].

Best wishes,
Reah