Where we are at and where we are going at Parkinson's UK

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/11/29/didier-jambart-160000-requip-parkinsons-drug-gay-sex-gambling-addict-_n_2210462.html

Hi Hikoi
This link shows the precedent in France....a man awarded 160,00 pounds against GSK for side effects from Requip.
I am glad you found the original summary clear.
It's a pity the legal firms are not as convinced.
GG
http://www.law360.com/productliability/articles/459921/glaxosmithkline-to-settle-u-s-avandia-suits-for-229m

If only Requip had damaged livers instead of brains.
GG
Thanks GG, I knew of the successful French court case but no others in Europe or indeed in the US though there must be some. I was interested in your comment about class suits having so much success elsewhere. I must admit I can't find this information on line though I do see lawyers advertising for clients.
Hello, GG and Eck, I haven't posted much lately as my condition worsens daily, however, today is one of my better days and having just logged on I see nothing has changed.

As you both know I too have suffered at the hands of the dreaded DA's and as my condition gets worse, I'm afraid that the debtors are also closing in. I have given up even trying to talk to people on this forum who, for whatever reason refuse to accept what damage DA's can do to some of us. Any hope of living out my final days in comfort where taken by the drug companies in the early days of my dx.

Why is it so hard for some to understand? The drug companies have actually paid out in some countries and in four cases, they have even settled out of Court in this country, so in essence they have admitted their fault in this matter already.
I have to say that I am greatly disappointed that Parkinson's Uk have found themselves very much a fence sitter in this matter and I feel badly let down by them. Before anybody attacks me for this statement, I do not mean that I believe that they should finance those of us that have been affected by this issue, in order for us to sue the drug companies. God forbid that any of the charitable monies should be used for anything other than a cure and certainly not for people as wretched as those of us who, due to no fault of their own, owe money. However, I for one feel so unsupported by them in this particular matter. All we asked for was that they locate a company that might act on our behalf in Court, but they seem to have been unable to fulfil even that. I now feel that all the charity is able to do is to provide jobs in these times of austerity and in particular one highly paid job for a chief exec.

Eck my heart goes out to you, I have been where you are mate and frankly nobody wants to know. Unfortunately even some of the very people that suffer the same condition as ourselves who, just happen to be lucky enough not to have experienced these particular side effects of the drugs.

GG I see that you are still trying to keep this issue in the moment, do keep up the good work because I for one have given in, the fight just makes my condition worse and the shame of being in so much debt simply adds to my tiredness to life.
Please bear me in mind should you have more success than I in achieving a successful outcome or indeed you if you find yourself in need of people to make up a group in order to have ‘our day’ in court.

Take care.

Glenchass
What about the Court of Human Right guys? Surely we should have the same rights as others to take this into the Court arena? I wish somebody that has done this would contact us to discuss, the why's and wherefores about it. Could we take it as a group perhaps?

Just running thoughts through my head and thinking out loud, so to speak!!!

glenchass
http://www.thomsonrogers.com/requip

Oh dearest Glenchass, I so wish I had a magic wand to help you.
The link above is re a class action in Canada which is slowly making its way through the system.
As you say 4 people in the UK have received out of court settlements. The sticking points seem to be the 3 year rule and the legal argument put forward by GSK that if you took any tablets after the warning was added to their leaflet in 2007 you knowingly accepted the risks.
I do summon up the energy from time to time to try and get understanding and legal help for the many sufferers but when patients with Parkinsons are unconvinced in light of all the evidence, what chance have we of getting help?
Soon I will stop banging my head against this brick wall and retreat into a sad and lonely place to end my days.
You are in my thoughts and of course I will include you in the unlikely event of help appearing.
GG
X
Glenchass and Eck
I assume you have contacted LeighDay about your problems?the only Uk firm I know of who have successfully dealt with GSK and Requip.
Here are the contact details.
I have to say that they were very polite and caring but turned us down on the post 2007 grounds and now the 3 years is nearly up we are stuffed!
But perhaps it's worth a phone call.
Love
GG

http://www.leighday.co.uk/Illness-and-injury/Defective-products-and-consumer-goods-Defective-pr/Drugs/Cabaser-and-Requip---Parkinsons-Disease
glenchass, I am really sorry to hear how you’re and others are feeling.

As many of you have experienced yourselves, we have also found it difficult to find a legal professional who was willing to get involved in any way. As we do not have legal expertise in-house, what we could do in this matter was very limited. But as reported earlier, we have managed to find someone with the right expertise who has agreed to be involved in a Q&A session to help answer your questions.

Unfortunately because of the upcoming changes to the forum and the solicitor’s own availability there have been some delays in taking this forward. But we are still planning on holding this session as soon as is feasible so that you can ask the questions to someone with knowledge and expertise and will update you with a date shortly.

Kind regards,

Suma
Hello again and thank you for your response GG and Suma. I understand what you are saying GG about the 3 year rule, I have spoken to LeighDay on a couple of occasions and that's what they keep saying. I took Requip between 2003 and 2006 but only found out about the possibility of OCD a few years ago whilst browsing this forum. I find the 3 year ruling ludicrous, I contacted LeighDay whilst they were representing the four cases that they put before the Courts and initially was told to wait to see the outcome. When I contacted them again they gave me the 3 year rule rubbish. How on earth can this rule apply if a person is over the 3year timescale before they even realise they have had OCD. It's all wrong and really it should be challenged. I have e mailed an American firm today and they have told me they may be able to help, despite the geographical difference. I am waiting for them to get back to me. I am prepared to take this to the Court of Human Rights if I have to, why should we not have the same rights as our European counterparts? It's all very wrong!

I know just how Eck feels, before this happened to me, we had a superb credit rating, now, we cannot even get a bank account because of it. It's not right and nobody deserves to be treated this way through no fault of their own, something has to be done.

I will keep everybody informed but I for one will be seeking some advice from a Human Rights solicitor.

Take care

Glenchass
Thanks Glenchase and others

I was asking for clarity re court cases because I was wondering whether there is any pathway open through Britain's membership in the EU.

If anything I wrote was construed as not believing in the effects of DA's then I am concerned. Having a close friend lose his home and savings and others I have met with similar stories and knowing the effects on myself, I spend alot of my time informing others about DA's.

I read your stories here and feel very moved. I ask questions because I see the slow response by PUK and really think in the end you will have waited and waited and for what. I do hope I am wrong.
Thank you for your support, Hikoi.
You are right about waiting for ever.
As I understand it, the only people who can claim are those who stopped taking DAs before 2007 and only discovered they were responsible for their OCDs less than 3 years ago.
A joke isn't it?
GG
Hello all, and it's nice to have you onboard with us Hikio. GG I understand just what you are saying but perhaps it's up to us to try to change the current Governments thinking on this issue. Like I said if our European neighbours can claim we should also be able to. I will look into this in the coming weeks and keep you all updated, I can only reiterate my feelings of despair regarding Parkinson's Uk in respect of this matter.

take care all

Glenchass
This 3year rule, appears to be an obstacle. What is it there for. Why was it ever conceived. If they can get rid of double jeopardy and retrospectively retry murders, what's stoping us getting rid of this?
I have no idea how to even begin to challenge it.
We have spent 3 years trying to find a legal firm to take on GSK and none will.
Now they just tell us we have run out of time.
No
Nonsensible isn't it?
And no help in all this time from PDUK.
Gg
Interesting article on BBC news today.........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23412085
"And no help in all this time from PDUK"

Not sure what you expect PDUK to do, since you keep harping on about them I'd be interested in where you think they have failed .
I've always been under the impression that PDUK supported and funded research and raised awareness, not forgetting the online and phone support, surely your not suggesting that money set aside for research should be diverted to legal costs fighting individual cases ?
Please refer to many previous posts from myself and others which make it clear what we would have liked in the way of support from PDUK and confirmation that we did not expect or want funding for legal suits from them.
I find your description of my posts as "harping on" spiteful and your constant denigration of our plight as unkind and unsupportive, hard to accept from a fellow sufferer
GG
Also, your post has absolutely nothing to do with Parkinson's disease.
I meant to write "previous link"which referred to OCDs in the general population and had no relevance to Parkinson's disease.
What the casualties of the side effects of d.a.'s want is the support of PDUK because they are, to state the obvious, people with PD. What is so difficult to understand? No one has asked PDUK to fund court cases - merely to use their resources and research capabilities to arm PWP's with information as to what if anything can be done in the way of litigation. The three year rule is used by many big companies and organisations and works against the public in many spheres apart from this one. A friend of mine has just succeeded after three plus years in getting an inquest into the death of her son who died due to the negligence of the paramedic who failed to give the most basic treatment. Both he and his employers have denied the existence of tapes of telephone calls (now "found"), alleged that Video footage was too blurred to be of use (my friends ex marched into their offices and insisted that they watch it together - no blurring) etc. etc. etc.. My friend started down the compensation road but is continuing with attempts to get to the truth into a fourth year because her real goal is to bring the guilty to book. I mention this as an example of what the individual is up against. Those who have ended up in financial ruin are naturally seeking financial redress. As for the use of the words "harping on" how easy it is to be dismissive of the troubles of others. The solution is simple. Don't read this thread if it annoys you. There is more than one person who posts on the forum a who irritates me and no doubt vice versa and it is tempting to make some wounding comment but I don't really know them so I avoid reading their posts.