23 and me webinar this wednesday

on 5th September and again in the eaarly hous of 6th September 2012, the organisation 23 and me are runnng two web based live sessions to explain their work and research aims. Individals can join in the research and receive a detailed report about their genetic background by sending in a saliva sample. aaaawhether you want to know about the research, take part, or just listen then have the opportunity to ask questions, you are encouraged to attend the webinar.

It is at www,parkinsonmeetingroom.com, log into the chatroom there. If you are new to that site you will need to follow the onscreen instructions to download the plugin, it only takes a few seconds. Then log in using your first nsme and password "pd". If there is someone already using that name, choose another name.

UK TIMES FOR THE WEBINAR ARE 7.00PM ON WEDNESDAY 5/9/2012 AND 1.00 AM ON 6/9/2012, BOTH LIVE. YOU WILL SEE THE PRESENTATION ONSCREEN AND CAN INTERACT BY TYPING OR BY VOICE.
Well, I sent a sample of my spit off to 23 and me yesterday to get my SNPs done. I want to know as much about my PD as I can. Has anyone else done this? Was it a useful experience?
I sent mine off about six months ago. They sent the kit to me in Australia and then picked it up by courier. I was notified two days later that it had arrived in U.S.
and I had the results the following week. You get the DNA result and a LOT of information to go with it. They will tell you, based on your DNA result, of the likelyhood of you being affected by or susceptable to a multitude of illnesses and medical conditions. I found it very interesting but, truthfully, not really all that useful.

e.g. They told me that people who have undergone liposuction have a 1.3% less chance of getting Parkinsons and people who have never ever been skydiving have 1.5% greater chance. For someone who has never had liposuction or been skydiving I found that piece of information rather useless.

The good thing is that it is free and they keep you up-to-date with current developments.

I will be glad to answer questions

Paddyone
Thanks Paddyone. I guess the SNP report is something you want to find uninteresting rather than being told you carry a mutation for something horrible you might pass on to the kids. But then, I suspect we all carry some bad mutations that will show themselves if we reproduce with the wrong partner!

What appeals to me is that the SNP information will become more useful over time as the number of genetic locations involved in disease and drug reaction are mapped.And that's happening at an exponential rate........