A little positivity

Just thought I’d give a little update following on from all my initial desperate searching posts.
I was diagnosed in March this year with young onset Parkinson’s disease (41 yrs old) the diagnosis was a complete shock and hit me like a brick … I researched into the disease too much and scared myself with what MIGHT lie ahead ! However I started rasigiline straight away and my arm started to not ache approx 4 months after.
I’m a busy working mum with a professional job and still trying to come to terms with this diagnosis … but I’m in a much better place at the moment - don’t get me wrong I have my moments and Ill have a little cry but then I move on … life’s too short to dwell on the negative things - yes I forget sometimes, have a wonky smile, some ache in my arm and tiredness … but for now I’m putting the mum brain and tiredness down to being a busy working mum !!
I don’t know what I’m trying to say really but just thought I’d try share a little positivity - yes it’s not what I planned, but I’m here, I’m doing everything I’m told to do and Pilates twice a week with rasigiline is helping so far and I’m going to try do whatever I can to keep it that way !
I now focus more on what really matters … making memories with my family and try not to stress the unimportant stuff !
I guess what I’m trying to say is … Life’s hard enough without concentrating on the negative stuff you’ve been dealt xx

3 Likes

Hello @Madwife5676
Wise words, my lovely.
I too, have young onset at 40. I found out in August. It is a a shock, then you get your head around it more (pardon the pun!).
Keep doing what you’re doing. And no, don’t sweat the small stuff!
I’m on the Madopar, having weekly physio and keeping busy and active. Living for now, and getting on with it. Yes, it could be better… but it also could be a lot worse.
Take care of yourself, as well as your family.
X

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this Madwife5678, such lovely words and always happy to read some positivity! Keep shining.

Positivity is your biggest weapon, if down, find a billy Connolly show

1 Like

Positivity
I too had Young Onset PD diagnosed at 43. That was 17 years ago. I am approaching 60.
I have found having a positive approach helps to get the most out of life .
Your vision of what your future would be like maybe different but that doesn’t mean that other positive visions are not possible.
I concentrate on what I can do now and have found exercise and a positive supportive group of PwP of great benefit.
I Find that being miserable and negative just makes PD even worse an d not great company for friends and family
I still drive, walk.,gym garden as well as, number an d word problems etc
The past 17 years were not how I had foreseen my life but have been very happy.
3 wonderful children all through university and settled
.After many years of travelling my husband and I are only now considering to stay nearer home for holidays.
Just as everybody’s hopes are different everybody’’s PD is different but positivity is a strong weapon for you to have in your arsenal
Good luck

1 Like

@Madwife5676 You’ve adopted the right attitude to Parkinson’s by putting in the back seat/on the back burner and forgetting that you’ve got it at all. Getting on with your life in the way only you know how by brushing aside all the negativity and realising you only come this way once so keep on living your life to the full. As @jazzz has rightly pointed out, everybody’s PD is different, what you’ve got to remember is that we’re all in the same boat. Thank you for sharing your experience with us and hope that other newly diagnosed people get to read this post. Have a good weekend with your family.

Les

Hi Madwife am Zo
Just to let you know i was diagnosed when i was 40 and put on Rasigiline. Now 54 and on a few more drugs, but a live and kicking. It was hard but had to stop working three years a go because i got Dystonia in my feet pain full.

Anyway bye for now ZO x

A great post to read! Madwife5676
My husband was diagnosed in May at the age of 42 and like you I was desperate for information and devastated at what lay ahead. But 6 months on and things are good. Don’t get me wrong, we are well aware tough times may lie ahead but at the moment his symptoms are totally controlled by his meds and his exercising. In fact his neurologist has told us he is “quietly optimistic” it could be progressing slowly.
So for now we are trying to put it to one side and concentrate on living our lives.
I hope recently diagnosed people and their families might read these posts and feel a little better for it…I know it’s what I desperately wanted to read in those early days!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing!
My husband was diagnosed a year ago. But he stays a good husband and dad, laughing a lot a doesn’t give up. I support him all the time and I’m feeling he is very thankful for it.