Abrptly stopping medicatio

Hi, my mum has had Parkinsons for several years and I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the effects of stopping medication abruptly. Mum was in a care home for a two week stay and in the second week they ran out of her Parkinsons medicatio so for 6 days (4 times a day) they didn’t give her any. Can this have had an effect as her swallowing has really gone down hill since. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi, I’m no doctor but i would have thought it would have major adverse reactions. It may depend on her medication but ive always been told you must come off meds gradually and under doctors supervision. I think you need to check this situation out thoroughly. I do hope your mum is well.

Hi Pjathey5,

I’m sorry to hear about your mum’s experience with her medication, it’s terrible that it was stopped so abruptly and we definitely wouldn’t recommend this without the knowledge and/or the approval of her GP. As such, we’d strongly recommend you get in touch with her GP on this.

Additionally, I think it’s worth giving our helpline service a call on 0808 800 0303 for advice on the necessary course of action for your mum.

Best wishes,
Reah