Acting out dreams may be an early warning sign of Parkinson's

New research published in The Lancet Neurology this week suggests that people who act out their dreams may be more likely to develop Parkinson's.

More info in the link below:
http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/about_us/news/news_items/all_news/acting_out_dreams.aspx

Previous research has found that people with Parkinson's are more likely to experience REM sleep behaviour disorder (RBD), and that these problems can start many years before the symptoms of Parkinson's appear.

What do you think? Would be interesting to do a poll of forum users.

Has anyone experienced sleep problems (like acting out your dreams) before you were diagnosed with Parkinson's?
My husband is 77 and was officially diagnosed Parkinsons approx 4 years ago . He sometimes talks while asleep smiling and laughing as if in deep conversation with someone . He sometimes remembers them the next day , also will hit out or cry as if someone is attacking him .

All his life he has had trouble sleeping and when he was a little boy once ended up falling from the top to the bottom of the stairs . He would jump out of bed .

His father took him to the doctors and was told it was because his mind didnt switch off , was still working while he was asleep .

Once married after a few years he did seem to improve because I was always there to comfort him and he stopped dreading to go to bed .
My husband regularly acted out his dreams for many years before diagnosis, and in fact still does. Until we bought a super king sized bed I suffered many a punch in the back or being grasped and shaken, as the dreams are invariably of violent fights. He is the most placid and peace loving man when awake so don't know where the violence comes from. He also now talks and laughs in his sleep which is creepy. I suppose eventually we will have to change to single beds.

Worrals
I put a rolled up pillow between us in the bed it also helps to stop him rolling over onto his back .
Hi I am recently diagnosed PD .Always had really vivid dreams with physical acting out .Mostly silly actions but very clear .Talk a lot in sleep as well and clearly remember next day.:question:
Now hear this.
My nightmares date back as far as I can remember, but only in recent years have I taken to knocking the contents of my bedside cabinet onto the floor; and in the last year I have had to fight off monsters while I am asleep. This is difficult when they are entirely imaginary.
I now sleep apart from my wife following one night when I awoke to find I had hold of her hair and was punching her in the back of her head. She was not impressed when I explained that she was a night monster.
Only on talking to the man in a white coat did I realise the cause of these events.
In the last five months the other symptoms of tremor, movement problems, anxiety, joint & muscle pain have appeared in quick succession.
The man in the white coat says,
"Possible idiopathic Parkinson's disease"
(benign tremulous variant)
If this is the benign version, then I do not want the full Monty!
Clonazepam 500 microgrammes & Mirapexin 0.088 mg have been issued by the vet but I have not taken these yet.
Arsene (60) That's my age, not my IQ.
I have started to leave a small lamp on in the corner of the bedroom . I believe lthe darkness makes it worse . It has helped a little I think