Activities at home

Hi all,

My father has had Parkinson’s for a while, but after a recent fall and some time in hospital he has deteriorated. He is very emotional and unhappy and I want to make some suggestions on things he can do at home to entertain himself. I was thinking audio books and podcasts as one idea. But any further suggestions gratefully received. Also does anyone have any experience using an iPad with Parkinson’s by adjusting the accessibility features?

Thank you

My son gave me loads of packets of seeds which kept me pretty busy. Depending on amount of indoor/outdoor space you Dad has - at the least he could keep himself supplied with herbs. Mint is pretty indestructible & parsley in a pot just about survives those pesky squirrels. I had hoards of tomato plaNTS in pots outside - a lot of watering for very few tomatoes. Probably need some tips from youtube.

1 Like

Hi @Fee. Welcome to the Forum and thanks for posting. I’m sorry to hear about your father’s recent fall and hospitalisation. Great thinking about trying to keep him as happy as possible after this setback.

I’m glad to see that @Appletree has already shared a lovely suggestion for you. I’m sure you’ll receive other ideas from the members but in the meantime, have you had a chance to read a bit about Caring for someone with Parkinson’s on our website?

You can also contact our helpline and speak to one of our advisers about any concerns that you may have. You can reach them on 0808 800 0303.

Best wishes,
Janice
Forum Moderation Team

1 Like

Thank you for your message Appletree. That’s a great idea. Dad loves gardening and as we approach spring he’ll really enjoy this.

I wondered if a jigsaw puzzle with large pieces might also be a good activity. Would this help his dexterity and keep him entertained during the day too. Any thoughts most welcome

You didn’t say how old dad is. I bought my husband an iPad 4 yrs ago when he was 68 and not tech savvy one bit and it’s been amazing for him,He reads several newspapers daily,has cryptic crosswords and sudoku and many other brain training apps. He loves looking up facts ,national geographic, you tube, in fact it’s been a godsend.
You can adjust the size of the text so it’s easy to read and for someone who wasn’t interested in tech he’s brilliant. One of his things at the moment is the NASA space station and the stars. He has apps which tell him when it’s coming over and off he goes out to see it. He’s getting to know the planets and the different constellations .

1 Like

whats he like with intricate things ? can he hold things steady. if he can would h like to try Airfix models. he can build and paint. when i was working i built loads of them, mostly military. tanks,