Advice for surgery

Hi All, i am writing this on behalf og my mum, she has recently been diagnose with PD. Her symtpoms started during the first lock down and the initial reaction was she had sever depression. After being on Quetiapine for nearly two years her symptoms worsened significantly to movement becoming restricted as the medication can speed up PD symtpoms. Any how cut a long story short last year she managed ot get two pressur esoes and ended up in hopistal due to fratured hip and was not eleigible for surgery due to the sores. Fast forward 7 months she is now bed bound and dependant to be being hoisted and wandered if anyone had hip replcement or any treatement to get over such a situation. She has been clear from infections since her dis-charge but being restricted mobility wise has ruined her quality of life any advice is greatly appreciated if anyone had elective sruhery after some time of a fracture? Thanks Bal.

Hi and welcome to the forum @BalSid79. You’ll find everyone here very friendly and supportive and I’m sure that they’ll be along soon to say hello. You’ve watched your mum go through a lot in the last few years and it must have been very scary and stressful. My heart goes out to you both.

While I’m pleased that she finally has a diagnosis, which means she can get treatment that will help her, there are other concerning issues. Eligibility for surgery is, of course, in the health professionals’ hands but people with Parkinson’s certainly do have surgery so let’s hope that can go ahead.

The important thing is that everyone on the healthcare team know about her diagnosis and what symptoms she experiences. Our article here: Going into hospital for surgery | Parkinson's UK will be very helpful so give it a read. Others in this forum will let you know how things have gone for them.

Bal, please be sure to take care of yourself during all of this. Our website section for carers is really important: Caring for someone with Parkinson's | Parkinson's UK.

Do enjoy the forum and keep us posted on how this goes. Good luck!

Janice
Forum Moderation Team

Hi BalSid69,

I would like to help, but before I can perhaps suggest something, could you please let me know how old your mother is.