Advice on getting a short term carer or a 'granny nanny' after mum's accident

My mum has had Parkinson’s for 15 years, She has many challenges to cope with but sadly has just broken her arm after a fall at home. She is currently in hospital but as they keep messing up her medication (wrong dosage/ wrong time etc), we would like to get her home asap to recover there instead.

We feel we need someone like a ‘granny nanny’ who would go to my mum and dad’s home from 8am to 5pm for 5 days a week so that it at least gives my dad some respite and means if he has to then deal with any night time support, he feels a bit less like he is taking everything on his shoulders.

Does anyone have any insights or advice having found a similar solution to this themselves? I am thinking it would be a contract of about 6 weeks to get us through this initial period and then we would see what part time care support we needed after that. Thanks in advance if you are able to help.

Hi HavanaS
So sorry to read about the mixup with your mum’s medication wilst she is in hospital. This is unforgiveable but seems to happen all too frequently according to the other letters i have read in the Forum.

I have no experience of similar situations and can therefore not give any advice. I just send you my best and hope that you find a solution to your difficulties sooner rather than later.

Hi HavanaS,

I’m so sorry to read about your mum’s recent fall.

Please feel free to give us a ring on 0808 800 0303 (Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm, Saturday: 10am-2pm) to talk to our trained advisers, including specialist Parkinson’s nurses and local advisers, who can provide information and advice and are also able to signpost your mum to other sources.

Best wishes,

Moderation Team.

A few years ago we had a similar situation with my mother. The NHS should make a continuing care assessment before she is discharged from hospital. In my mum’s case they paid for carers to come in. I think she got two or three visits a day, and this went on for about 6 weeks. Resources are stretched, and you are unlikely to get a carer for 8 hours a day on the NHS.

When NHS care ends, you can get a social services assessment, and the social workers can advise on local agencies. You won’t get any financial assistance though without a means test. I’ve had to arrange care for my mother in a number of different circumstances over the years, and generally found that local experienced self employed carers are better than the big agencies, both for cost and quality of care.

Thank you. Yes- I know the NHS is struggling but for them to still get my mum’s medication wrong when it is all computerised is pretty shocking.

Thank you Jane. This is exactly the kind of helpful advice and insight that I was looking for. It has confirmed what I was already thinking, so will get on the case now!


I have just joined the forum so I’m not sure if it’s allowed but we used country cousins to look after my dad when my mum went on holiday if you are looking for a short term thing