Alcohol and Selegiline

Hi I’m just about to start taking Selegiline 5mg (already on mirapexin) and the patient info leaflet says avoid alcohol, cheese and marmite . These are great pleasures in my life can anyone comment on if this is true for the low dose? , I’ve seen other discussions saying it’s fine for the food and drink up to 10mg so now confused and and gutted if true!

hi SarahLou. I would ask your Parkinson’s nurse for advice. I have been taking 10mg of selegiline for 2 years, I do like a glass of red wine or two, the odd gin and tonic, I also eat like strong blue cheese as a treat, and marmite on my toast when I have my boiled egg, personally I have not noticed any adverse reactions, I was told it could make me drowsy and it can make your heart rate slower as can the madopar I take. Medication is such a personal subject to get right, they all seem to have possible side effects listed. Moderation is always advised, I cannot say I always follow that advice and I often remind my GP that she told me ’ alcohol can help your tremors ’ It is a serious question that your nurse will help you with. Regards Jack.

I am in a similar position as you, diagnosed earlier this year, and prescribed 10mg selegline along with ropinirole. I have read that on this low dose you can have some alcohol, however, my consultant wasn’t of the same opinion. I have had the odd glass, and have found that I feel a bit nauseous, but otherwise OK. Must say it is difficult in social situations, as I don’t want to need to keep telling people the reason why I am not drinking!

Hi @SarahLou,

I’m glad to see members are reaching out to you to share their own experiences with Selegiline and alcohol.

We have a few threads on the forum that also speak to this. You can check them out here if you’re interested in learning more about what others have been saying.

Sincerely,
Joy
Forum Moderation Team

This is an important question. A few of us enjoy a drink, we should not have to become teetotal just because we’ve had the misfortune to be diagnosed with Parkinson’s.

I’m on a low dose of Sinemet, I still enjoy a some beers a few nights a week.