Alcohol

PD is a great excuse for not being able to queue at the bar or carry back a round of drinks. Though I rarely get enough sympathy to entirely get me out of buying my round, just have to hand over over my card to the able-bodied.

Hi Babs - all new to this, my first reply! I find that alcohol generally does not help but neither does it hinder if taken in moderation. I do occasionally have a blast and feel awful the next day but when with friends I try to mix it up a bit with 0/0 Beer and perhaps a small bottle of proper lager. I have tried the occasional G&T or a lovely malt whisky at night and thatĀ“s been okay thankfully but for me too much lager is a nightmare. My wife gives me a real telling off, rightly so - I do try but sometimes you just want to be yourself again. I am on Sinemet and generally okay with alcohol but as I said - in moderation!

I donā€™t, had some serious problems in the past. I managed to deal with it myself, but I still avoid any meetings where I know there will be alcohol. Iā€™ve read there https://addictionresource.com/alcohol/treatment/how-to-quit-drinking/ that itā€™s difficult to tell social drinking from alcoholism. I realize now, in my case it was alcoholism. I prefer coffee now :slight_smile:

Hi. I was diagnosed 5 months ago and was advised on the day, that alcohol affects the same area of the brain, that our pesky PD does. So I concluded that the winning move surely is not to drink alcohol ? I donā€™t miss it TBH.

Since I was diagnosed 3 years ago, Iā€™ve drunk to varying degrees, including quite a heavy phase 1-2 years ago. I drink a fair amount nowadays, on the weekend itā€™sā€¦ say, a bottle or so of wine a night. I find it helps me to sleep (in addition to sleeping pills which I take routinely).

If you donā€™t miss it then some will say thatā€™s fine. For me I did miss it and I do still drink occasionally but not that much to be honest. Ooh holidays perhaps I do go a bit wild compared to normal. But seriously the odd drink is not I believe a problem especially if you have something to celebrate. I do and still enjoy the odd glass or 2 of a fine single malt and will certainly be having one or 2 later on to celebrate my son and future daughter in law engagement.

1 Like

I was only ever a social drinker, so when my neurologist told me alcohol negatively affects the same part of the brain as PD does, I quit, I donā€™t miss it, and like the money I save.

1 Like

Hi Shane,
I not so big a drinker now as I used to be,but like to have maybe a couple of glasses of wine mixed with tonic,in the evening,or a glass of my favourite gin and tonic.I am on a range of medication,and I donā€™t seem to have any trouble with having a drink in moderation.I reckon we deserve it after a day of coping with PD in its many forms.We are all different,as to what symptoms or side effects of our medication.we have.Enjoy your drink with your uncle.I am also on Co-Careldopa 25/100mg.
Shakycatwoman

Hi @shakycatwoman

Iā€™ve found out what was happening with my hand as it was a brand change (co-careldopa) and not the alcohol (I was quite new to the medication too). Subsequently just had the same batch given and similar issues popped again (took quite a few days to realise it might be them as Iā€™d not had any of these issues with my normal brand). This has prompted me to have a word with the pharmacist and he has said that it will certainly be the brand and more down to the additives to fill the medication out. He has now ordered me the brand which I feel happy with as Iā€™ve mostly been taking that one brand which I think is really cool of him.

Iā€™ll be having a little drink over the Christmas and New Year. But itā€™ll be moderate as Iā€™ve only had about 6 bottles including the night out with my uncle since then

As itā€™s almost Christmas, Iā€™d like to raise a glass to each and all on here and wish everyone a very merry Christmas and all the best for 2020

1 Like

I have a couple beer and a glass of wine some times.

Alcohol is a pleasure I can still enjoy as my others get whittled away.
I look like forward to a couple of beers and a shot of the hard stuff every evening.
It helps me to cope

1 Like