Ankle operation concerns!

Hi my name is John I’m 69 years young and was diagnosed with Parkinson’s about 7 years ago. So far my condition has not interfered with my life too much. However, just over a year ago I ruptured a tendon in my left ankle which means I need an operation. This will entail having it in plaster for 6weeks and then lots of physiotherapy. My concern is that because my left leg/foot muscles are often tensing the cast will cause cramps and discomfort. I know this will be the case as after the accident I was issued with a surgical boot to stabilise my ankle but could only keep it on for a short time for the reasons mentioned above.

I wondered if anyone out there has had a similar experience and how they coped with it. Because of covid 19 the operation has been postponed and is now unlikely to take place before next Spring. So plenty of time to worry!! But hopefully find a solution.

Any information will be gratefully received.

Thanks John

Hello @j.mellers1 :wave:

Thank you for your message and welcome to the Forum, it’s great to have you join our community.

I am sorry to hear about your ankle injury and your upcoming operation, that sounds really tough for you. I am sure other members may be able to offer advice and share similar experiences, but in the meantime you may like to get in touch with our helpline on 0808 800 0303 or by emailing [email protected]. The helpline is a free service made up of trained advisers, including Parkinson’s nurses who will be able to provide further information and answer your questions so please get in touch. We are open 9am-7pm Monday to Friday.

Best wishes and take care,

Emily - Forum moderation team

Thanks Emily, I did try ringing earlier this year but was told there was no one to advise me. I also spoke to my own PD nurse and she was unable to advise. However you know different please let me know. Thanks again for your interest.

John