Anti Depressants

I did some searching about Sertraline when it was suggested by our GP and also quizzed him on this subject. I can find no evidence of it being a problem and he was adamant it was fine. But best to ask your GP opinion.

Probably too late to help much. My spouse has been on Mertazapine for some time but she needed some additional help. Venlafaxine was recommended as it had good reports. After her 1st tab she wasn't too good but not a disaster so she took the second tab on time and the next day was catastrophic. She couldn't talk, only mutter, couldn't dress herself or get to the toilet unaided. Her walking went to a v. short stepped shuffle. I had to feed her and administer her tabs. Naturally we stopped the tabs but there was no improvement for another 2 days. On the 3rd day she had a slight improvement and after talking to the help line, they confirmed they are aware of some PD suffers having bad reactions, which would improve over time. She was able to feed herself on day4/5 and finally could take stairs on her own after 8 days.

So just be aware Venlafaxine may do a great job for you but be aware of potential issues. There is no mention of issues for PD users on the medication leaflet. I have sent off a note as per the leaflet to try and help other users.

I am sorry to hear that your spouse suffered like this.

My husband was told that only Mitrazipine was safe with Rasagilene and that any other anti-depressant could set off Seratonin syndrome...potentially fatal.

The information was provided by the chief pharmacist in the psychiatric unit my husband was admitted to after a suicide attempt.

We shared her shock that not one of the doctors involved with treating his Parkinsons were aware of this.

When he first began to suffer from depression a geriatric psychiatrist prescribed Venaflaxine but our chemist refused to dispense it as he knew that it was dangerous with Rasagilene. The doctor involved said he didn't know!

Weeks later we found out  about Mirtazipine.

In the end he took no anti-depressant because of the side effects and recovered in other ways.

I do hope your spouse recovers soon.

Love

GG

Worth bearing in mind 2 types of depression

Reactive    due to events  where cognitive behavorial therapy CBT can help or talking therapy for example

Chemical imbalances in the brain likely with Parkinsons that may require medication.

No shame in either just different strategy  to overcome.  May be useful to gain an understanding of the underlying cause to ensure best possible outcome.

Wishing you all  well xx

My GP has changed my anti depressant she has prescribed me Trazodone 50mg I am currently taking Rasagiline and co-beneldopa . Is this a safe combination ? 

Any advice greatly appreciated.

im on amitripyline with my azilect,entacaphone,sinemet all ok on this

I'm taking Mirtazapine for stress and anxiety, alongside my PD meds., Madopar and Eldepryl.......seem to work fine together and feel so much better. My doctor said the one side effect of Mirtazapine would be sleepiness, so to take it at bedtime. Result...a good night's sleep as well!!

Twinks

Often I awake unsettled,maybe it was a bad dream i dont know.Instead of dwelling on the racing thoughts I yell to myself,it's just PD.It almost always cuts off my doom spell,lol

Lately I visit others far worse than me and it also does help knowing we arnt so unlucky.

I also keep myself active in keeping our freedoms now we have a wanybe dictator around.

Just being a small part of a big thing seems to make PD ,just a small part of being alive.