Anticipatory Grief/ Bereavement

Hi, my dad recently passed away after 10+ years struggle with Parkinsons and Dementia. As a family we didn’t often talk about how we felt about everything going on and I have been used to bottling up my feelings and feeling detached from it and my family as a result. I am hoping to learn how to process and deal with confusing feelings and was wondering if any other children of someone suffering with Parkinson’s feels they are suffering from anticipatory grief and even if their loved one has passed away how has this affected them? I’m not sure how to broach this topic with my family. Other personal issues I have experienced this year are consistently rising to the surface and I fear I am not dealing with my grief properly and I have feelings of guilt that I felt before and after my Dads passing.

I would love to hear any tips or support anyone has found, whether it is a shared experience or not. Mainly around how to process but also how this has affected other families and relationships.

Thank you!

Hi @mel94, :wave:

A warm welcome to the Parkinson’s UK forum.

First of all, I am truly sorry for the loss of your dad, our thoughts go and to you and your family during during your time of grief.

Grief/ bereavement is about coming to terms with loss and it is completely common for people like yourself to feel a range of emotions or alternatively, not know what to feel at all. I completely empathise with you not being able to process the passing of your dad and you may like to consider contacting your Parkinson’s nurse or GP, who will be able to put you in touch with a local organisation that can offer you support.

We have more information on how to cope with bereavement on our website which incudes a list of useful contacts here: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/how-do-i-cope-bereavement

Lastly, we have a free and confidential helpline with a team of amazing advisers who can offer you more support on your current situation so do give us a call on 0808 800 0303 or email us at [email protected]

Please take care and know that you are not alone and we are here to help you in any way we can. :slightly_smiling_face:

Best wishes,
Reah
Forum Community Manager