Anticipatory grief

I have been feeling a lot of debilitating anxiety recently, and whilst I could put it down to a number of different things, it occurs to me that it is most likely to do with the thought of losing my husband. I have thought about that happening for a long time, whether or not it was likely to happen imminently ( and who knows in any case) and when he is in a really bad way it is not difficult to imagine it happening, but feeling it is another matter altogether. Does this rings bells for anyone else and if so, any suggestions as to how to cope with it.?

Hi Pippa,

Very sorry to hear about your husband’s condition, and the effect this is having on you. We’re sure you’ll receive some good advice from the community about all this, but we thought you might also like to take a look at our website, which has lots of information and advice for carers and family members of Parkinson’s patients: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/caring-someone-parkinsons

You might also like to speak to our Helpline team, who will be able to offer professional advice on a wide range of issues affecting Parkinson’s patients, their carers and family members. You can reach them via email at [email protected], or call free on 0808 800 0303. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 7pm, and on Saturday from 10am-2pm.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Owen,
Moderation Team