Anxiety and Panic attacks

Hi

Does anyone suffer with anxiety attacks and panic attacks I am finding it difficult to go anywhere outside the house even going to the shop or hairdressers just feel I need to rush out. Have never felt like this before not sure if it is a side effect of medication or development of PD.  I take Pramipexole one per day 1.05 and Mirtazapine 30 mg one at night.  The Mirtazapine makes me feel really bad first thing when I wake up but have been trying to stick with it to see if it calms down been taking it for 3 months.  The panic attacks are the worse thing I have felt really limit what I can do.  Hope someone can suggest anything that will help. 

regards Sugaplum

I have no experience of the drugs you are taking, but would recommend you read the leaflets that come with them to see if panic attacks are a known side-effect.  I would suggest you speak to your Parkinson's nurse, neurologist or your GP as soon as possible because there is something definitely wrong.

Peter.

1 Like

Hi - I have found some hypnotherapy sessions have really helped me to control my parkinsons associated anxiety.  

1 Like

Hi sugerplum,

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling anxious and worried. If you would like to talk to someone about your symptoms and medications our Helpline team are available on 0808 800 0303. They would be happy to help  and give advice. We're open from Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm, and Saturday: 10am-2pm.

Take care,

Edwina

Moderation Team

[Post removed by Moderator on request] 

I am newly diagnosed so in the process of geting meds sorted. I have noticed over the last couple of years I have social anxiety but its not been so bad and I just learned to cope with it. The doctor put me on madopar and it has really magnified my anxiety to the point where it scares me going places where there are people. I hate going shopping, I avoid my neigbours, I even get scared going to the doctors and having to sit in thee waiting room.

I ve been on Madopar for about 9 months and it settled things down tremor wise. but over the last 3 months i’m getting anxiety and low mood feeling which has not been helped by the bad weather and not being able to get out and also have been forgetting to take the pills on time which has caused some really nasty anxiety feeling when out and about and takes sevreral days to recover. I had a cycle the other day and physically felt like i had a lot of energy but felt a bit scary when lorries went by or going fast downhill.

I also notice high levels of nervous energy and a and more lucid thinking on other days which is down to the madopar

I find doing Wordle puzzles on the computer good for taking your mind off worrying things and good brain exercise

I find a good game of golf without too much pressure helps too lower reduce anxiety and make you feel in a better state.

I would talk to my GP about an SSRI.
They are quite effective in case of panic attacks with or without agoraphobia.

I know how limiting it can be.