Anxiety

Hi, in the last few weeks I have had two episodes, I don’t know if they are panic attacks, it starts with internal trembling,bad fatigue, I just feel really ill culminating in uncontrollable sobbing. Any ideas on how to control these feelings

Hi Eunice,

We’re sorry to hear that you’re experiencing these symptoms. We’re sure you’ll get some helpful responses from other members soon, meanwhile, there is a detailed section about Anxiety on our website with information and support here: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/anxiety

If you’d like to talk to someone you can also call our helpline on 0808 800 0303 from Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm and Saturday: 10am-2pm, or email [email protected].

We hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Edwina
Moderation Team

Try not feeling too sorry for yourself get out and about and enjoy your life, then see how you feel good luck bye.

Eunice,

I feel for you as I had similar experience earlier this year. I am now better.

I had suffered spells of anxiety and obsessive/compulsive problems before my PD diagnosis. Post diagnosis my neurologist would keep upping my dosage of Sinimet and i was on 5 a day when I started to suffer from another bout of anxiety. This was bearable at first but after a couple of months I decided to try the ketogenic diet. This brought some physical benefits but my anxieties deepened and I started to get palpitations as well. To cut a longish story short, I was driven to being suicidal before I tried cutting back on my Sinimet. I have persevered with the ketogenic diet and now take a much reduced ( 1 to 2 a day) dosage of Sinimet. I have not had any panic attacks (or palpiitations) since and have stopped my obsessive/compulsive behaviours (which go back years).
My take on it is that I suffered from excess dopamine compared to the amount of GABA (the two need to be kept in some sort of balance). Having read up about this, some researchers believe that low levels of GABA ( a calming neurotransmitter) are as much a feature of PD as low levels of dopamine and that it is a mistake to just boost one.
I now, sometimes, take an L-theanine supplement to boost GABA (it also helps with sleep) which is derived from green tea (or just drink lots of green tea).
Anyway, that worked for me and, today, the sun is shining and the days are getting longer.
Good luck.