Any Gay Parkies?

Hi Jeffersonstar - I’m new to the site and wondered whether you managed to meet up with any other gay parkies ( thin on the ground seemingly) I love with my husband in Bath so let me know if you fancy meeting up!n

Hi Ian hope you are well- just wondered whether you had any success finding other gay parkies? If it would be great to get in touch! Kind regards N

Hi everyone. I am gay and was recently diagnosed with Parkinson’s.

Hi @JJY,

Welcome to the Parkinson’s UK forum.

I hope you’ve taken the time to explore the forum, if you need any assistance with anything, please do not hesitate to message me.

Best wishes,
Reah

Hello all, hope this topic is still active. I’ve had a PD diagnosis for two years now (two months after I retired, huh), & I consider myself ‘lucky’ as I’m not yet on prescribed medication (though I do take Sn2 Borage Oil and CBD oil) and my Sx so far are really only a left-sided tremor. Since my diagnosis I have met, and married, my wonderful husband Mike. If anyone in the Tunbridge Wells, Kent area wants to get in touch I’d appreciate some contact from other people on this journey, gay or otherwise. I’ 65, btw, always up for a cup of tea or a pint!

1 Like

Hi JohnW1,
Welcome to the forum! We hope you find comfort and knowledge amongst your fellow members of the community.
All the best,
Elan
Moderation Team

Hi I am the partner of a gay Parkie - this is all very new to us and we are still struggling to find our way.

It all feels like “the elephant “ in the room that we both try to pretend is not there. We have questions as a couple but also separate issues that is difficult at times to know who to talk to.

We are so focussed on getting through each day, checking that my partner is coping with the day to day. Is the medication helping? Is it creating other issues?

What about the future ?..

And in all this we have lost a closeness that is painful for both of us to verbalise. We tell each other, “it’s fine” yet I know we both miss that closeness

There is so much focus on “coming to terms” that everything else falls by the wayside.

Please don’t get me wrong I’m here for the long term - I am right by his side.

Just feeling a bit lost

Thank you for getting this far

Perry

Hi all,

Looking through my old iPhone threads and found this conversation which I took part in, and wondered what was the latest on whether there was any specific LGBTQ+ support available? I’m not looking to segregate myself from other Parkinsons sufferers it’s just that, it would be helpful to have a place for other LGBTQ+ parkies to share advice and support with our specific situations. It’s a tough journey for Parkinsons sufferers and their ally’s and, from my experience of 5 years, having someone to talk about feelings/ emotions has helped! Please let me know if you know of any such groups or if you want to talk about it with someone else! Thanks all N

Hi Perry,

I appreciate its a year since you wrote on this forum but I hope things are going well for you both! If you fancy a chat let me know. I’m a married gay man (52 diagnosed 5 years ago) cheers and all the best N

Hey. I’m joe I’m 31.

Recently been referred to have a dat scan though I’ve heard many a bad thing about the increase chance of cancer etc so I don’t think il go ahead.

My neurologist seems sure based on the presence of tremor bradykinsea and rigidity. I’m just a bit gutted because I feel so young.

The worst has got to be the rigidity. My right arm feels constantly tense. And shudders when moved about. It makes me so tired.

Does anyone experience that?

Hi. I am new to the forum.I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s about 3 years ago. I have just come out as gay as well, so I have lots to think about. I live just outside Frome but have problems with transport. I t would be good to get to know others.

Hi Dowbie,
Welcome to our community forum. We do have other LGBTQI+ members, and you are likely to hear from them momentarily. In the meantime we wanted you to make sure you’re aware of our website (Parkinsons.org.uk) where you’ll find a wealth of helpful information, including research and links to archived forum discussions. We also have a free and confidential helpline staffed with advisors who can assist with a vast range of needs, for both people with Parkinsons and their carers. You can reach them on 0808 800 0303.
We hope this helps, and please accept our warmest welcome,
Jason
Forum Moderator

Thanks so much for your message, Jason. Yes, I have seen the website and I’m looking forward to become more involved.
Paul

Hi Dowbie, sorry I have only just spotted these posts. I live in Bristol and was diagnosed with young onset Parkinson’s 10 years ago. Happy to chat any time.

Also, not sure if you’ve seen this already but there is an LGBTQI+ group organised by Parkinson’s UK that meets online every 2 months. If you are interested in joining or finding out more about this please let me know.

Paul

Hi PaulM

I haven’t been too good at keeping my eye on the forum, and I have only just seen your message.

I was diagnosed getting on for three years ago. I’m coping well and responding to meds, but it’s all a bit confusing and bewildering at times.

I would really enjoy the opportunity to chat and compare notes.

I promise to keep a look out for your messages in future . . . !!

I’d also very much like to be part of the LGBTQ+group. Can you send me details, please?