Any runners with Parkinson's?

I'm new here. But I Parkrun every Saturday. Anyone want to join me ?

Hi Guys, no doubt exercise is really good for People with Parkinson’s (and those without!)
High intensity training (HIT) seems to be the best, whether it is running, cycling, swimming, rowing - or dancing!
And then I found this 4-minute workout : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwJCJToQmps
do that two or three times a day - to the best of your ability, and you’ll keep the “progression” at bay.
I know we’re at different levels/stages of PD, so do what you can but make it intense.
Walking your dog - stride out, throw a tennis ball (for the dog :slight_smile:
Wishing you continued success - and I might be tempted to one of those 5k Park runs

My diagnosis came at 35 at which point I still exercised but the most I had been doing was training for a half Marathon once a year. Since then I have continued to do the half Marathon each year and this year I have added 3 Marathons and a 100km Ultra. Most importantly for me was completing one of the Marathons over 5 minutes faster than my previous PB which I had managed as a one off when I was 21.
It is not easy as having to plan for taking tablets during longer events adds to the difficulty, as does the off windows during the run when I feel like I am effectively dragging my left side along. However, as one of the other responders said it does help having goals to focus on and it reassures me that although my condition has progressed over the last 6 years I am still doing what I can to help myself.

2 Likes

Really good to read these posts, I have been running on and off for a few years, done a few half marathons but can get a bit lazy in between.
I was diagnosed a few weeks ago, I will be 41 in February, and one of the first things I read was about the benefits of regular exercise. My plan is to discipline myself to be more active, I’ll do whatever it takes to slow this thing down…

Thanks all.

1 Like

Hello everyone. I am really happy to have found this forum/thread. I was recently diagnosed with Parkinson’s and am experiencing rigidity on my right side which is causing me to shuffle/limp when I run. I am finding that this is really messing with my running mechanics and am experiencing hamstrang issues on my left side. I was wondering if others have experienced hamstring or other issues due to changes with their gait and how one can continue to run long distances without compounding injury. Thanks!

1 Like

very impressive John! keep up the running. I prefer to cycle (like running sitting down)!

Hey

I run or was running until about 12 months, I think I have dopa responsive dystonia either way I have rigid muscles, I am very heavy footed and have an odd gait where I swing my right leg out a bit because of bad ankle dorsiflexion. When I run it’s like a tonne weight hitting the ground and it doesn’t matter how easy I take it I am just as tired after 100meters as I am 10 miles.

Until about 18 months/2 years ago I used to have spells where I would run a fair bit but then lack motivation and stop. I did run the Great North Run twice back in my early/mid 20’s then a couple of years ago really got into it again that and mini triathlons which are fun. Running really helps and my muscles feel looser the more intense exercise I do. I started to enter a 10k race once a month and got my time down to 46.30 (not bad for someone with massive legs and an odd stompy gait) in my 20’s the best I could manage was 52mins. I was training hard to try and break 45mins which would have been amazing for me but hen I had to stop I was worried about the pressure I was putting through my joints and thought I better start trying to figure out what was causing it.

Then my feet went into spasms a few months back and I couldn’t even walk never mind run! I’ve just started L-dopa though and it’s magic is working and my feet are returning to normal so hopefully in the next couple of months I can start thinking of trying to do the odd 5K.

You probably shouldn’t run if you have foot dystonia but I swear I have got worse since I stopped also running seems ok because your up on your toes more it’s walking I have more issues with.