Any Zoom Support Groups for YOPD

Hi, 43 and newly diagnosed struggling with a few things to be honest, and feel I would benefit from informal support from others.

Overwhelmed by the prospect of meds, cognitive effects and changing relationships. I’ve met some great professionals of late, but I need some real world experience.

I’ve contacted my local rep but haven’t heard anything back yet. I know this disease is different for everyone but I need to find some strength in shared experiences.

Matt

Hello Matt, I’ve sent you a PM. I’d be very interested in this, exactly the same situation and all the information is totally overwhelming to start with.

Hi @Sungover and a very warm welcome to the forum.

A diagnosis can certainly feel overwhelming, but you’re in the right place to find out more and get some valuable and friendly support from our friendly forum members.

I’m glad to see that you’ve already received a reply from @DB123 . I’m sure you’ll be hearing from other members but in the meantime, you may be interested to read the newly diagnosed section on the Parkinson’s UK website. It answers a lot of commonly asked questions.

You can also contact our helpline on 0808 800 0303 and speak to an adviser about any concern you may have, including where to find peer support.

Best wishes,
Janice
Forum Moderation Team

Hi both,

I was diagnosed 7 yrs ago, aged 42 and really benefited from linking in with some other YOPD in the first yr via video call. Very happy to meet up virtually for a chat if you’re interested - drop me a message.

It might be worth you looking on the PUK website for the First Steps programme.

Best wishes
Nick

Hi Nick thanks for the offer, and I may take you up on it. Would a group be your sort of thing?

The first step programme seems just the thing. Thanks for the tip.