Anybody there

for big & ctrl -

for small

Hello again!  Yes, all is well here.  I've had a busy week and haven't been online much, however.  I was having two home improvement projects done at once (some exterior lighting and some new hardwood flooring), when the gale-force wind we'd been enduring for two or three days finally began blowing down trees!  Within sight of my house, three went crashing into the street, one right next door.  Luckily, almost miraculously, there were no injuries and no serious property damage.  And my two curbside trees still stand.  The wind has subsided and been replaced by light rain. 

You asked a post or two ago whether PD lingers in the background even as I am enjoying a slower than average progression.  Yes, it does.  Ever since I was diagnosed, I have had an everyday awareness of PD.  The diagnosis is jolting; then comes some form of acceptance or determination to fight.  For me, after I found a sort of peace with my lot, I have been aware of the disease, yet that consciousness is not troubling or depressing.  It is simply the recognition of my symptoms and my efforts to counteract them (posture, speed of movement, balance, flexibility).  In two weeks I shall begin some volunteer work with newly diagnosed patients.  I am hoping to be of some help to those still in the state of shock I remember going through.

Best regards,    J

Hi Gus

Thanks for your tips re print size.  Thanks to you and a little patience I now can be seen. Ta

Hi J off grey cottage

Always nice to read your positive comments.  You keep giving me inspiration.  I am now down the track 12 months and I've learned so much over the last year.  Was at a Probus meeting today and a fellow had just been diagnosed and I was happy to go up and chat to him, not something I would have coped with a year ago.   Still travelling  well on Azilect only.  I also used to be a teacher - my effort in writing has been putting down my own story for my granddaughters.  Still enjoying an occasional game of golf, caravanning trips and keeping up with a fairly big garden.

kind regards.

Good to hear from you, Libby!

It is surprising how we get accustomed to having a progressive disease, isn't it?  At first I kept my diagnosis a secret from everyone except my husband and my sister.  I didn't want to talk about it until I had taken it in myself.  Now I tell almost everyone who will listen!  And so very often the person I'm speaking to has a relative or a friend with PD, too.  Occasionally, my mention of my own case has led to some favourable result.  Recently, when I began a new series of Tai Chi lessons, a man in the class had a friend with advancing PD.  After our discussion, he got his friend to enroll in the beginning class!  Until he heard about my situation, the friend thought it would be beyond his capability.  So my garrulousness pays off once in a while!

I am glad to hear that after a year you are still enjoying your usual activities and that you are doing well on only Azilect.  If I remember correctly, you are near my age (just turned 68 last month); therefore, you will have lots of medications to try or to increase in dosage even if you live to be 100!  I don't have quite as much room for increases as you do, but I have continued to enjoy exceptionally slow progression.  That's where we are fortunate within this misfortune of  getting PD.

Keep caravanning and loving life!  I have two trips planned:  a riverboat cruise in France and a return to California for my 50th high school class reunion.  Looking forward to both.

Best regards,     J

Lovely to hear from you J.  That riverboat cruise sounds great.  We actually hired boats ourselves on the canals in France (Midi, Nivernais and Loire).  That was so fun.  Also hired boats on The Shannon, Friesland and on The Thames in 2012.  Glad we did it then as I wouldn't like to have to handle ropes etc now.  In fact it was on The Thames cruise that I felt less steady and now we know why!  I also have glaucoma so sometimes my pd is not my focus.  Not exactly a good combination.  Central vision is good so far but I hope it stays that way.

Enjoy your holiday to your school reunion.  You are certainly doing well.

kind regards 

Libby

J Dove cottage

Good to hear from you.  Have now got a new computer and finding my way around, as usual the subtle differences each system has between that and the gremlins enough to call it a day BUT am a bit like a dog with a bone at times when things get tough.  I suppose in view of what has happened to us all I suppose it is a good thing to have. It has been said to me that I am not strong just stubborn when I want something. I think that you too must be strong.

Great to hear that your symptoms are still mild.  What ever you are doing keep it up.  I dont think it is totally the    pills.  Good on you.

Astoriasis

astoriasis new flower --  I feel honoured that you established me in Dove Cottage (which I once visited) instead of my ordinary grey cottage in Oregon!  Seriously, I don't know what keeps my PD to such a slow pace.  If optimism helps, that could be part of the answer.  And we all know the great value of exercise.  Beyond that, I have no idea; I attribute it to luck.  As for strength, I am always more surprised than anyone if I see a sign of strength in myself, for I have never viewed myself as a particularly strong woman.  Proud maybe, or stubborn perhaps, but not really strong.  Thanks for the encouraging words.

Best regards,

J

J of Grey Cottage

thanks for your post. Good to hear from you.  The new computer is coming on although am still learning.  At the moment am struggling converting photographs from a camera to the computer without using the soft ware I have which is now obsolete and putting it onto pictures then sending the selected photo to another site.  Does that make sense.  It is just that my camera is old.  Old well seven years. Thats how it is with modern technology. Just when you think you have mastered one thing another one comes along.  At the moment have invested in a woofer, not to be confused with a woofter .  Then I was confronted by someone saying why didnt I get a tweeter.  Are you with me because I am not sure who I am with.big grin

Regards

Astoriasis