Anyone joined a gym to help cope

As anyone joined a gym to help cope with their symptoms

No, but I go to a PD Warrior class once a week. Probably should do more though.

Hi there, I have joined a gym too a few weeks ago and have been going for an hour and a half each day. I think it’s too early to tell but I feel fitter and more healthy and more importantly it must help my mobility. I’m going to stick with it because I’m sure it will help. Best of luck to you.

I had my first session with an exercise physiologist last week. He gave me a number of suitable exercises which I could do at home.
It was while doing the simple ‘throw a soccer ball (football to you) against a wall’, that I realised how sluggish my arms were.
A week later, the arms are better and I can now actually catch the ball.
I still need to acquire some more equipment and clear some room in the shed but I am feeling the difference already.

I find it easier to do the exercises at home but if a gym was closer, I would definitely give it a try.

Knowing what exercises to do, thanks to the exercise physio, is important.

Jim

I rejoined the gym about a year ago and I think it is helping. I was getting a bit of an ache in my upper back when standing cooking and I don’t seem to notice that now. When I first started there was one machine where you sit and push the levers straight up . I couldn’t shift it at all even on the easiest setting. I’m still on the easiest setting but now I can do 10 every time I go.

I tried a yoga class there too but that was a bit tricky. I don’t want to worry about my balance and because I also have akathisia as it is pretty uncomfortable trying to keep still.

I find the gym easier as I don’t have to be there at a specific time so if I’ve had a a bad night I can go after a nap. If I go when I am a bit tired or too late in the day I really notice the difference walking the length of the gym with no ‘wheelie’ to hold on to. Sometimes I really have to think about picking my feet up so I don’t trip.

I go three times a week so I don’t get bored and just do half an hour. There is plenty of sit down equipment where your back is supported. I like the machines where you are stretching your arms wide & strengthening back muscles. I can get pretty stiff around my shoulders.
I have a recumbent trike which I go out on nearly every day but it wasn’t really enough – last winter I got quite a spare tyre so it feels good to keep on top of that too.

This summer because it was so hot I also braved the outdoor pool (included in the gym membership) & was very pleased I could do a fair number of lengths - it’s olympic size. I just had a little rest at each end as my right arm starts going all over the place after a while. So nice swimming in the sunshine.

I joined the gym last November and go three to four times a week for around an hour and a half. Treadmill, bike, pull downs and a few weights, nothing overly strenuous but definitely feel it helps, especially mentally.

I have been going to a PD Gym Class for around 2 - 3 years. Not only do we do exercises to help strengthen our muscles,we cover practical things like if you stumble, how to get up etc. and lots more. We have the best Physio who runs the classes and he is now heavily involved with Leicestershire Parkinsons Assoc. JD not only puts us through our paces but lifts us and gives us back our self esteem. We are more like a family - for the record I go to Bridge4 in Birstall, Leics I would recommend it to anyone. Give it a try. We all come out on a high and ready to kick PD into touch !!!