Are you paying for prescription charges? Help us to scrap the charge for people with Parkinson’s

Parkinson’s UK is working as part of the Prescription Charges Coalition to end unfair prescription charges for people living with long-term conditions like Parkinson’s. People with conditions including diabetes receive prescriptions for free, and we’re calling for the same for people with Parkinson’s.

We’re currently spreading the word about this campaign and are looking for people living with Parkinson’s who are either struggling to pay the prescription charge and/or do not take all their medication due to the charge.

If you have any experiences regarding the prescription charge that you would be happy to share please get in touch with Lloyd Tingley at [email protected].

If you are 60 years old, or older, your prescriptions are free. If you have more than one prescription per month, you can pay 10.40 pounds for all of them. It’s not unfair.

I suggest you find another battle to fight.

I am fortunate (or not !) I am over 60 so, I get my meds free. But, if there are any petitions, I will be more than happy to sign and get my friends - both fellow twitchers and those without PD to sign.

Reah thank you for posting. This is a sensible suggestion as people with Parkinson’s often have less opportunity than others to earn money.

Thank you for your hard work.

It is a lot of money to pay for those who don’t have much and have to carefully balance their expenditure. I also seems unfair that the proportion of the population who have to pay is not the proportion which has the most lucrative income - indeed they can be struggling.

I think its a good campaign , it is unfair if other long term conditions get free prescriptions so am all for it, w=thanks very much

@Reah I’m bowled over by first reply to your post. Thanks for taking this on I didn’t realise other conditions get relief on prescriptions.
@Martini I don’t know anything about you so I hope you were just having a bad day when you posted. There are people who greatly need help with making ends meet. If you can afford it great but is there a need for you to be so rude?

Ps if prescription costs don’t increase (unrealistic) and they’re still free when I get to 60 (even more unlikely) I’ll have spent over £2200

Hi @Martini,

There are many people living with Parkinson’s who are under 60 and will have to pay thousands of pounds on prescription charges in their lifetime. People with other long-term conditions such as Diabetes receive all their medicine for free, which we don’t think is fair.

That is why we take this work forward, to ensure all people with long-term conditions receive the same support.

I hope this clarifies things for you.

Best wishes,
Reah