Assessment for Dementia with PD

My wife was diagnosed in 2018 with PD. More recently she has trouble remembering people, places and dates. I have asked if I can have an appointment with the Memory Clinic to determine whether she has dementia. I am her main carer and her husband and to be honest I am really worried and stressed that I will not be able to help her, in the future!

1 Like

Hello @StuartM,

Welcome to this friendly forum!
I’m truly sorry to hear about your wife’s recent difficulties. Your concerns are completely understandable, and it’s natural to feel worried and stressed during such challenging times.

You’ve taken a proactive step by considering an appointment with the Memory Clinic. This is a positive move towards understanding her condition and potential treatment options. Additionally, you might find it beneficial to get in touch with her GP to discuss her symptoms and the best way forward.

Shall you be interested, our Parkinson’s UK website has an informative section on Parkinson’s and memory changes, which might offer you additional insights and guidance. You can find it here: Thinking and memory changes | Parkinson's UK

Remember, you’re not alone in this journey. Many carers have faced similar situations, and there are support networks available, both within Parkinson’s UK and locally. If you ever need someone to talk to, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our helpline on 0808 800 0303.

Take care, and know that we’re here to support you.

Best wishes,
Federica
Forum Moderation Team

Hi StuartM,

Just saying hello, and as Federica said welcome.
Sorry but I honestly have no knowledge about these symptoms, but I am sure someone on the forum can help.

Hello StuartM, I had dementia added to my diagnosis a year ago, mainly forgetting words or getting words muddled. I was prescribed patches (rivastigmine) which apparently helps (my wife tells me I’m definitely not as bad as I was). Speak to your neuro or PD nurses and they will get something in train. Neil

1 Like