Assisted Living


My mum has Parkinson’s and is into year 4 of her diagnosis. She is declining rapidly - both physically and mentally - and lives alone.

We don’t have any space at all where we live so I think we’ll be forced to move her to some form of supported living accommodation. She is not quite at nursing home stage yet but that will come.

Can anyone kindly point me in the right direction to start the process? Do local authorities generally provide any sort of funding support for this? My mum lives in Surrey.

Thank you!


Hi James,

We wanted to welcome you to the forum, and thank you for sharing. We understand this is a daunting task, finding a supported living space for your mum. Happily, we have a team of wonderful advisers at our Helpline who can help you get started. Please feel encouraged to call them at 0808 800 0303.

We also have a website at with a wealth of helpful information and links to loads of resources, national and local. It’s very easy to search using the field in the top right of the page, which can lead you to research, articles, and even archived forum threads.

Please accept our fondest wishes to you and yours, and again, welcome to the forum.
Moderation Team

You will need to contact her local council. I don’t know if it’s still the same process but my Dad applied a few years ago, was given a banded rating and he bid on suitable properties until he was allocated one. It was subject to means, savings and need. He was eventually able to move into a property with a Housing Trust. It is a sheltered setup with access to a shared coordinator for the building, however although there is a community there and some common areas are shared, it is actually classed as independent living. If he needed any kind of nursing care, there is nobody on site. I presume that would have to be arranged privately or through social care system. It really depends on your mum’s current needs and how she is managing.