Awaiting diagnosis

I have been told my GP that I may have Parkinsons as I have tremors in my right hand and head. He is sending me to a neurologist mid Sept but I wondered if anyone can tell me what sort of tests the neurologist might do, as you can imagine I am quite anxious and scared so any advice greatly received

1 Like

Hi Monty

My neurologist tested all my reflexes (arms, legs, feet), and watched while I walked (to consider my gait, and arm swing) and then did a test where he tried to pull me over backwards by surprise. There were questions about onset of symptoms, and what my health was like before this, and I was asked to smile while he considered my face for signs of immobility, and he looked in my eyes.

It wasn’t anything to be anxious about. I was just grateful to be seen, and rule out more serious conditions which might have accounted for my symptoms (which were quite severe).

I was diagnosed with “Parkinsonism and Postural Instability” - and given a prescription for Madopar, and was booked for an MRI.

3 Likes

Try repeatedly opening and closing each hand really fast see if one is much slower than the other. That is fingers to thumb. Do one at a time not both together. My tremor arm was much slower and caused my tremor to worsen.

1 Like

Well done you for getting through the test, the drug trial and then the MRI. Have you had the MRI by now (April 2022)?
Just wondering how long the waiting time is.
Best wishes Mx

I was seen by a consultant the day after my GP first saw me in person - I was sent to A&E and a neurologist was sent for. I had an MRI a week later. Then drug trial, more drugs, another MRI, and then a CT scan. All on the NHS and within the last 8 months.

1 Like