Balance issues

Hello everyone, asking for my mom who was diagnosed 1.5 years back. Her symptoms were slowness, one arm not swinging while walking. She was put on syndopa 3 times. However neurologist asked her to stop medicines for 2 weeks in March as she was having head heaviness. That resulted in her balance being off now and she feels walking like a drunk person. She is back on meds now 4 times a day - Syndopa. Has anyone had such experiences in the past and did anything work. Neuro has ordered an MRI now as he says loss of balance isn’t the prominent symptom of parkinsons.

When I lost my balance the neurologist suspected Progressive Supranuclear Palsy Parkinsonism Predominant.

DAT Scan required.

1 Like

Hi Tej,

This may sound crazy however it worked perfectly for me and others I know.
Remember your balance is controlled by little “hairs” in your inner ear.
Loop-shaped canals in your inner ear contain fluid and fine, hairlike sensors that help you keep your balance. At the base of the canals are the utricle and saccule, each containing a patch of sensory hairs.

Sometimes the fluids get out of “loop” but specifically the hairs become, for lack of a better word, tangled.
As I used to do a lot of scuba, I obviously cannot anymore, I was a dive master, I occasionally I found that after a day or so I became dizzy for a few days. I was in my neuro’s office one day and told him about it.
He told me to lie on my back on a bed and taking both hands on the sides of my head,'shook it from side to side a few times.
I thought he was out of his mind, but it actually did work.
Try that, there is a good chance that it will work, perhaps you may have to repeat it a few times.
It is worth a try.

1 Like