Benefits!!!

Hi all,
Firstly, A bit of background about me and PD. I was diagnosed in 2008 at the age of 35. I, like many of us, endeavoured to try and continue as normal. However having to live with progressive mobility issues, I succumbed and this year I was dismissed from my employment after 20 years service, due to my PD. I got a pay off from my employer which amounted to roughly 6 months salary, which unbelievably works against me!!
Benefits? What benefits. I’m told by the DWP that I can’t claim universal credit until my savings are under £4000. What about PIP? I’m told I’m not disabled enough to get any, although I’d successfully claimed DLA for 5 years previously!
The icing on this not very tasty cake, is that 8 weeks ago, I was stopped by the police whilst driving and advised to cease driving pending a ability check. Fair enough I thought, it was always on the cards. So I contacted my county council to apply for a disability bus pass. And yes, your right I was turned down because I’m not disabled enough!
So in summary, I’m 45, dismissed from work due to PD but can’t get any financial help from DWP. Can’t drive anymore due to PD but unable to get any travel assistance.
I was wondering if anyone else is undergoing similar treatment? And has anyone got any advice?

Hi Still_me,

Sorry to hear about all the difficulties you’ve had. You may like to take a look at the ‘Work, money, legal and benefits’ section on our website, which is full of useful info and advice: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/work-money-driving-and-legal.

You could also try giving our free Helpline a call on 0808 800 0303, as they’ll be very happy to advise you on this. They’re available Monday-Friday from 9am-7pm, and on Saturday from 10am-2pm.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Owen,
Moderation team

Hi, still me ,I get a disabled travel pass but I live in Manchester don’t know where you live. The criteria you have to meet here is that you have had to surrender your licence due to disability or would be refused a licence should you apply for one for medical reasons. There a lot of hoops to jump through but it is worth it for the independence it gives.however I should add I also have epilepsy and the driving laws are very specific about that. If you have a travel shop in your area contact them. Good luck