Berberine and PD medication

I’ve been looking at the many positive trials and reports linking diabetes drugs as possible treatments for PD. Metformin and Extentide are a couple. Talking to my GP and also made clear in the trial reports any prescribable drug resulting from the trials will take up to 10 years. My PD and I were hoping for something sooner. A lot sooner. In amongst the reports on the web I came across Berberine a readily available suppliment that by all accounts offers great promise for PD sufferers.

My questions are. Is anyone taking berberine for PD and is there any known negative interactions with PD meds such as Sinemet or Azilect?
Many thanks

Hi @Gingerjohn,

Hope all is well.

Just thought you’d be interested to know that we’ve covered the latest development on Exenatide on our medium blog which you can find here - https://medium.com/parkinsons-uk/exenatide-latest-trial-results-explained-ef72fbee3c44 .

The blog post discusses promising results from a clinical trial of type 2 diabetes drug exenatide in people with Parkinson’s. I hope you find this useful.

Best wishes,
Reah

I have just seen this.

Anyone from Parkinson UK knows anything more regarding this?

Hi @Mikey.inc,

Thank you for sharing these links. I’ll pass them on to the team to see if anyone here has any further information on that for you.

Best wishes,
Mara (Moderation Team)

Hi @Mikey.inc,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

We asked our Research Team about the finding and they shared this:

These are exciting findings, the results so far look very positive. However, it is early days for this particular potential drug as the research so far has only been done in worms.

“Targeting the clumps of alpha synuclein, called Lewy bodies, that form inside cells affected by Parkinson’s is a strategy a number of researchers are working on at the moment. And a number of studies can be found at different stages of the research pipeline.

“While early stage studies may take a few years to reach clinical trials in people, there are other potential drugs that aim to stop alpha synuclein clumps forming already in or expected to enter clinical trials, such as NPT 200-11 and Posiphen. Additionally, there are several active clinical trials of various immunotherapies that aim to target this protein to prevent its spread.

“We continue to fund research into targeting alpha-synuclein to slow or stop Parkinson’s in the hope that one or more of the strategies currently being developed will be successful. We also keep an eye on developments in this field and are working on an alpha-synuclein blog post at the moment to do a roundup of all the clinical trials in this area. You can find our research blog at parkinsons.org.uk/blog

I hope you find this information useful.

Best wishes,
Reah

1 Like

I was on the 2nd stage of the Exenatide trial. My results showed a 16% improvement.

My GP was reluctant to prescribe it afterwards referring me back to my Neurologist who couldn’t understand why I put myself forward. Needless to say I now have a new consultant.

The issue remains as to the best delivery method and dosage. After nearly 2 years since I completed the trial I still don’t know. I guess that’s one of the reasons it takes so long to bring it to mainstream usage

1 Like

Hello,
I’m happy to learn about your experience.
Could you tell me if you have any effect on your ‘non-motor’ signs ?
for example, depression etc…
and in the protocol, is it the one per week injection ?
thank you for your response
(and apologize for my bad english)