Blue Badge

As the Regs have changed allowing people with “hidden disabilities” like PD and anxiety to apply for a Blue Badge. Can anyone tell me if you also need to be in receipt of PIP before they will consider application? Many thanks Katie

I have a blue badge and don’t have PIP - however I do have Attendance Allowance BUT my friend has MS and she has a blue badge and doesn’t claim either of the above - I spoke to a lady from Age UK and she helped me complete the form.

Hope this is some help to you.

By the way I have had my blue badge for some time now and have even renewed it with no problem.

1 Like

I have a blue badge but my PIP application was unsuccessful

Yes you have to have an interview with someone from the dhss after you’ve sent your completed form to the dhss,or if you have good doctor’s they dhss will contact them and then your doctor will tell them how bad you are,then you won’t have to be assessed,it may take a month or 3 before you get a response from the dhss,but they will keep you updated as to how your claim in going,hope that helps you understand,bye.

How come you’ve got a blue badge then,I understand that you have to get the enhanced rate of mobility allowance to get a blue badge,if I’m wrong please let me know,bye.

It might be because it is down to each local council to make the decision. I have had a blue badge for 2 years. I do not have any allowances or PIP, I work full time and all I did was complete the online application give them permission to contact my GP and Neurologist and pay the fee.
I also have recently been successful in applying for and getting Disabled Person Rail Card. Again quite simple though you can’t do it on line as such but need to call them up and then email in what they request as evidence in my case just a letter from GP, PD Nurse or Neurologist. Took about 2 weeks to be approved and I have already recovered more than the cost on my train fare savings.

I do not have enhanced rate of mobility (or any other benefit (though I am waiting for a response to my claim for carer’s allowance). As jps1926 says the decision to supply a blue badge is down to the local council