Boston Scientific DBS seems to cause stiffness and loss of movement in arm

A number of people with Parkinson’s in Hereford and District who have had DBS at Bristol, using Boston Scientific, have found that while it has stopped the tremor it has caused (or resulted in, at any rate) other problems including serious stiffening of the left arm. After 1 - 3 years, with much to-ing and fro-ing to Bristol to try to get it sorted out, these individuals are experiencing a severely limited and worse quality of life than before. As someone who was counting on having DBS in the future, I am very concerned and am beginning to despair for them as it seems nothing is going to sort this problem out. So we are sending out this message together.

If you have had DBS and experienced similar problems we would like to hear from you, especially if you can offer any ideas to help.

Yes, I am experiencing this. I thought it was something to do with the battery interfering with muscle tissue as it is placed in the top of my left breast.

Any updates?

Hi there and thank you for replying. One of the individuals has finally been told that an electrode needs to be repositioned - the necessary operation has been delayed and a second opinion is being sought from Queen Square. Previously they tried Botox and various medication changes but without significant improvement. What has been your experience?