Breathlessness

Hi guys,

My mum is 82 years old and has had parkinson’s disease for around 12 years. She was diagnosed with dementia when she was around 75 years old. This now means she is nonverbal and completely reliant on care.

Within the last year or so, she has developed a reaction to the sinemet plus tablets that she is taking. Within 5 minutes of taking them, she struggles to breathe and makes a distressing noise to compensate for the breathing. The noise sometimes stops when the dosage wears off but it can continue for hours, and even the whole day.

She often wakes up making the noise late at night. I’m guessing this is when the sinemet CR kicks in. Any walking or pushing herself up seems to make it start quicker. From what i can see, she is struggling to exhale.

Has anyone experienced this or has any advice?

Many thanks,
Mark

Good morning Mike … Might I suggest ringing the helpline here & having a Parkinson’s Nurse ring you back for a chat. It is free & I have found the early in diagnosis chats I had with them to be excellent. It sounds as though your poor Mum has a lot of health issues all going on together. I also have Parkinson’s & take Sinemet. I tolerate it quite well & feel it helps me a lot. But everyone one is different.

The number is 0808 800 0303

Best wishes
Steve2