Brother with early onset Parkinsons going through divorce alone

Hi There,
I hope you are well and staying safe.

I am posting here because I dont know what to do. My younger brother has early onset Parkinsons and still works, his partner has met someone else and although she is living in the house with him and his children she is not looking after him. He is located about 1 hour 30 minutes from the family. Sadly, our mother has passed away and our father is a heavy alcoholic so not very supportive.
I am very worried about my brothers day to day health. When he was with his wife, she was in control of the food preparation and I am concerned that he will not be looking after himself because he has never shown any interest in cooking, in fact he mentions drinking quite alot.
He is very disinclined to talk about his Parkinsons or the relationship so I am asking for advice here because I don’t know what to do? I am concerned that he is neglecting his health and this cause the Parkinsons to progress quicker.

Hello Beth. It sounds like your brother and you are going through a really tough time, I’m really sorry to hear that. It can be hard for people to talk about their Parkinson’s - we have some practical advice on our information and support pages: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/caring-someone-parkinsons

but I’d also suggest giving our helpline a call on 0808 800 0303. The friendly team are there for family just as much as the person with Parkinson’s and will be happy to speak with you.

best wishes,
Lucy - moderation team.

Hello Beth2 I can only imagine the anguish you are feeling because of your brother’s circumstances and I would encourage you to follow Lucy’s advice and give the helpdesk a call. It seems to me the whole situation is very complex and speaking to someone may help you find a way forward, I get the feeling that at the moment you can’t see the wood for the trees. I think it important you understand however that a diagnosis of Parkinson’s is not an easy thing for many to take and to that extent his reaction is not unusual and you will need to be patient. He also has the added dimension of difficult home circumstances - either of these would be hard on their own, it is difficult to even take a guess at how he is coping. You obviously care so try and hang on in there as best you can. Please do consider contacting the helpdesk. I wish you well. Let us know how you are getting on.