Burning sensation in throat

Has anyone else experienced a feeling of heat in the throat?

I  have recently developed this, it gets worse in the evenings and when i eat. Any ideas?

Hi carolineb211

I took a quick look at our materials but haven't found anything about this. If it is not related to Parkinson's, it might be an idea to take a look at the symptom checker on NHS Direct or WebMD.

Ezinda

Hi Caroline.

My husband suffers from the same and his speech therapist happened to mention that a lot of people with Parkinsons suffer from it. She called it Laryngopharyngeal Reflux and got our doctor to prescribe Gaviscon which does help a little.  Hope this helps. Do you have a speech therapist at your local hospital who may be able to help you or mention it to your doctor perhaps.

Sue

Sue has explained what I have, which has affected me since about a year before dx.

I take medication which reduces stomach acidity and fare better on smaller meals.

Good Morning Caroline

One of the nasty situations PD often causes is congestion at the back of the throat I am constantly clearing my throat which makes it sore, sometimes I choke ,its not nice the only thing which seems to stop it is iced water hope this helps.

Kind Regards              Fedex

Hi

It does sound like Laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR) for all of you above! It's really uncomfortable, but also fixable.

Your GP can help. A good treatment is a combination of Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPI) medication, Gaviscon Advance and lifestyle changes. This can be really successful, but you need medical input, particularly for taking other meds with Parkinson's meds.

There's more information on reflux on my website (southbristolvoicetherapy.co.uk) and if you email me I can send you a useful indicator for LPR to take to your GP.

Fedexlike,

You could also try an infusion of ginger in hot water. It can help with the mucous, though it may well be reflux related.