C1 Driving Licence For Motorhome

I have young onset, I’m 49 and not in any meds. We were looking into buying a motorhome and realised I’d lost the C1 entitlement on my driving license. Has anyone got any experience or knowledge of getting C1 entitlement back so I can drive a motorhome over 3500kg.

Cheers

Hi @JonJoe
Thanks for posting your question about getting your C1 entitlement back, the DVLA website can be difficult to navigate, however I’ve found some information I hope will be useful below. Hopefully other motorhome drivers on the forum can add their experience of the assessment process too.

This page on the DVLA website states:

Drivers who were awarded a Group 1 category B (motor car) licence before 1 January 1997 have additional entitlement to categories C1 (medium-sized lorries, 3.5t to 7.5t) and D1 (minibuses, 9 to 16 seats, not for hire or reward). Drivers with this entitlement retain it only until their licence expires or it is revoked for medical reasons. On subsequent renewal or reapplication, the higher medical standards applicable to Group 2 will apply.

My understanding would be that your “standard” licence with C1 entitlement expired when you were issued with your current “medical” licence, so you no longer retained your C1 entitlement.

To get the C1 entitlement back, you will need to satisfy the Group 2 standards (usually for lorry or bus drivers) by successfully completing a D4 medical examination. More information on this can be found on the DVLA website here, and their information leaflet here

The leaflet also advises:

You are strongly advised to discuss your eligibility to apply for your driving licence with your doctor before getting a D4 report filled in. See following conditions:
Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis or other chronic neurological disorders with symptoms likely to affect safe driving.

So do speak to your GP and consultant, if your symptoms are such that you don’t need medication to control them this may stand you in good stead.

Warm regards,

David
Forum Moderation Team

Hi David, thank you for looking into this. I’m due to speak with my consultant soon, I’ll discuss the medical side of things with him. I’ll post on here when I know something.