Can a neurologist prescribe medical cannabis for Parkinson’s?

I was just wondering if I could be prescribed medical cannabis for Parkinson’s? I seem to have chronic pain and the literature seems to suggest medical cannabis as an effective remedy. Any thoughts? I have tried CBD oil but it’s a waste of money. No effect whatsoever. Thanks in advance.

Hi @boomerang83, :wave:

Cannabis-based products are not available on prescription for people living with Parkinson’s. And using cannabis to help with your Parkinson’s symptoms is not a valid defence in the eyes of the law.

However; as you’re probably aware, CBD oil is available to buy legally as a food supplement. But it can’t be advertised as beneficial for medicinal purposes as there is not enough evidence currently.

I hope this answers your query.

Best wishes,
Reah

I think very, very, very unlikely! Despite the gov’ legalising it for certain conditions, very few prescriptions for it have been issued.
Even people with extreme epilepsy are having trouble [source BBC article month or so ago I read]
Check out Ian Frizell channel on youtube [no connection]

Phil

i think THC is wonderful drug and that the Cannabis plant is the most underused resource on the planet and it is good for PD and relieves alot of my condition

(Sorry for two posts, I couldn’t link to the confusing material on this website)

There are a number of articles on here that conflict the information I have found. For example:

Cannabis-based medications aren’t available on prescription for people living with Parkinson’s. And using cannabis to help with your Parkinson’s symptoms is not seen as a valid reason in the eyes of the law.

Apologies for bumping an old thread, I’m trying to find some information on medical cannabis and Parkinsons for my Dad.

I’m a little confused as the first reply in this thread and other content on this website says that using cannabis to treat parkinson’s is against the law.

However I’ve been reading that it can be prescribed by private clinics here where Parkinson’s is specifically listed?

There is also this from the home office which I would take as a trustworthy source.

Confused!

Only three illnesses can be treated with medicinal cannabis by public prescription, those are Epilepsy, MS and to treat side effects from chemo. To treat PD its the private clinics where you pay for your own consultations and prescriptions. A form would be signed to release your GP files and depending on what medications are already being prescribed, you may or may not be eligible for the THC form. If anything was to happen to your dad, such as a fall or car accident and he ended up in hospital, this could be an issue because the medicinal cannabis may or may not have contributed to it, or so the Neurologist may argue. I can’t help with the legal side of things but it seems that the success to alleviate PD symptoms vary to the individual.

OK thanks, yes I appreciate the concerns but truth be told he’s been self-medicating with cannabis already and has been fine (old stoner from the 70s!)

I’m just trying to establish if he can go down the legal route, I can’t imagine the police would nick an old timer with a bit of hash on him but if we can find a legal prescription its one less thing to worry about. Thanks!

It seems to be common that those who go down the medicinal route have already tried the more traditional one and the private clinic will ask this, how often etc. Its just such a pity that it seems to be two separate practitioners, the private clinic prescibing medicinal cannabis and the consultants in the health system. When the decision to try medicinal cannabis is made, the file request to the GP means that the consultant will find out. They may well recommend against it and thats them covered but I only have experience of one consultant, maybe not all write it off as a form of drugs trial. Maybe do a bit more research on suitable clinics and costs and if its something that can be managed financially, take the first step and book the consultation. Your dad doesn’t have to go ahead with the prescription if he doesn’t want to

Many Parkinson’s patients have reported positive outcomes with cannabis for managing symptoms, including pain.
A neurologist can indeed prescribe medical cannabis if they believe it’s a suitable treatment for your condition. It’s a promising avenue, and the research on cannabis’s effectiveness for Parkinson’s is ongoing.
If you’re keen to explore this further or want more information, https://releaf.co.uk is a valuable resource. They offer insights and information without any high-pressure sales pitches, which can help you make informed decisions about your health.