Cannabis

A friend with MS has just informed me that NICE has recommended that Sativex is no longer allowed to be prescribed for patients with MS.

iIf they do not change their minds over the 6 week consultation period  then it will no longer available for anyone. Patient bodies may lobby NICE but not individuals.

Seems very harsh.

GG

I WAS TALKING TO MY CHEMIST THE OTHER DAY & HE SAID THE BLOKE  WHO DEVELOPED IT LIVES IN DORSET ! TRUE OR  NOT

big grineye roll Yes I tried it a few years ago 2001 I think  , It was effective for about 1 hr but  I can understand how and why people get hooked, when beloved found out I was in solitary, come to think of it I still am, but when you are desperate dan try anything man,,and if it dont work for you , flush it down the loo, cos ( it aint no pill  and a visit from the BILL could land you in JILL,,) or jail even. and then your Lady will be through with you then what will you do when de bird  has flew   iiinnnit.

coolFED

I read this thread whilst investigating the topic of PD and would like to be of service. Cannabis is not a single drug but a complex cocktail of substances that appear in the secretions of the plant of the same name. I've used it in small doses over some 35 years to control the worst of my personal ADD, larger doses for "fun" and in super concentrated form to make small warts vanish painlessly. (It seems far less effective on old and established warts). In one (hard to believe if I hadn't done it myself) episode witnessed (and hopefully documented) by our vet I used fairly massive doses to cause a fast growing and visible oral tumour to disappear in our cat. (The method is documented elsewhere on the internet as the rick simpson method). What has this to do with PD you might ask? Recently I have been asked to help a work associate obtain some cannabis, to alleviate the worst of his pd and I am struck by how the the illegality of it is simply cruel to people like him. It's obvious that different strains of the weed affect different people in different ways. So a "stripped down" version like sativex is in my opinion, only likely to help a limited number of bio-compatible people. This whole subject is clouded with so much politics I don't envy you people trying to sort through the lurid stories put about by the "drug war protagonists". I can state from my own personal experience, that regular use (particularly in youngsters) can undermine your "social programming" and that side of the experience can either be a wonderfully positive (it was for me) or massively destructive experience depending on your personal qualities.

Hope its Okay if I "bump" this old but valuable and interesting thread?

What research I have been able to do suggests the following tentative observations:

• 1:1 CBD:THC strains may be the best for therapy in PwP
  • Daily oral ingestion is best, and the dose needs to be BIG. Best to up the dose slowly? Yes, you will get high; but after some time that will fade and the positive effects become more dominant. Anyway, who can begrudge a PwP getting high if it helps?

I have no way of assessing this info, its all second hand but via sources I generally trust. I would far rather use cannabis than the current array of pharmaceuticals. Curse our prohibition laws! That said, if my symptoms became a lot worse I might just ignore the law.  Meanwhile hey-di-hoo, I'll stick with my symptoms, I think. Very wary of pharmaceuticals.

I tried it when I was younger and all it did was make me vomit!

I tried it again a few years back to counteract some of my symptoms.

It resulted in an unpleasant trip to my local A & E in an ambulance and leaving me feeling very foolish several hours later when I'd recovered. 

Severe bollo*ckings from the Hospital Doc, my wife and my 23 year old son (laughing hysterically all the way home) prevents me from taking any form of repeat prescription!mr green

That's a shame.

It does wonders in managing (my) chronic pain symptoms (degenerative spinal disease). Alongside conventional meds, I must add. Which reminds me, I must book my next trip abroad.....

I would have recommended you wait a few days then take a much lower dose, preferably of orally ingested "honey oil". Repeat daily. The full benefits will be felt after about 6 weeks of daily dosing. The oil would also need to be "decarboxylated" first, to render it active. All that needs is heat.

But each to their own. However, I fear too many folks are missing out on a potent medicine, because of all the prohibitionist propaganda and deception that floats about.

But don't get me wrong, its no wonder cure or anything.  Just another, natural, tool in the box of tricks we all have to help us with out pains and symptoms. Shame our government is so far behind the times. Until they wake up, I fear we must all do without this plant and the help it offers.

Hi MB420 and the Pokermid,

Thanks for rekindling this interesting discussion and sharing your experiences with using cannabis to help with your Parkinson's.

The evidence from research studies looking at the effects of cannabis use (in various forms) in people with Parkinson's is rather confusing.

Some small-scale studies have shown promise - particularly in controlling difficult to treat aspects of Parkinson's such as pain, sleep problems and dyskinesia.

However there are question marks over these small studies as most were not placebo controlled or double-blind. This means that we cannot be sure that these effects are not due to a placebo effect. And larger scale studies have not produced the same promising results.

So, where does this leave us? The truth is we don't know exactly how beneficial cannabis may be for people with Parkinson's, and we know that some people, like the Pokermid, can experience side effects.

Until the picture becomes clearer, we encourage people who do want to give it a try to be cautious and as safe as they can. Please do continue to share your experiences on our forum - whether good, bad or indifferent!

Best wishes,

Claire

Parkinson's UK research team

Thanks Research/Claire. My experience of cannabis as medicine has been mainly in regards to chronic pain stemming from spinal stenosis. My prescription is for large daily doses of Oxycontin and Morphine, and one or two other drugs. In my experience, Cannabis potentiates and amplifies the effects of the Opioids. Which means I can lower the dose, for the same pain reduction. On its own, cannabis has never dealt with my pain. But, it does stop one from focusing on it, and even enables one to smile and laugh again. It also stimulates my appetite which is otherwise abysmal. If allowed, I would use it daily and seek to come off the bulk of my prescription, if not all of it.

It is, for me, precisely the "side effect" of getting high that makes cannabis a medicine of value in the treatment of chronic pain. I notice in an earlier post someone saying that it is impossible to get high using Sativex. This is not true. I'm afraid there is no "Medicinal" strain that does not give a "high". Sativex is made from strains provided to GW Pharma by the same folk who supply the many seed banks now servicing the colossal "Home Grow" industry. My understanding is that GW Pharma use a strain named "Skunk No.1", and another strain the name of which I do not know. Harvested at peak potency, the flower heads are used to extract THC and CBD. These two cannabinoids are then re-combined in a precise ratio (50:50), and presented as a sub-lingual spray. This maximises the efficacy of the drug in treating things like spasm, pain etc.

The 50:50 ratio is not a common one in cannabis. There are strains that yield such a balance, but it is more common to find a ratio predominantly in favour of THC. This is the psychedelic high many seek.  But CBD is not inert, it too is psychoactive, and is said by many to "take the edge" off the THC and provide a more mellow high. My guess is that Pokermid was given a big old spliff of high THC cannabis. It can be a scary experience, but it has never killed anyone (unlike many other drugs) and any "freak-outs" fade away with time.

I have been studying Cannabis, one way or another, for four decades. I don't pretend to know everything, indeed I know very little, and am no scientist. But I am happy to share what knowledge I have, if anyone wants to pick my brains ~ feel free. If ever I get the chance, I will seek to self medicate with Cannabis for my PD. As things stand, its a little here, a little there, and never enough for a full therapeutic programme or accurate and useful evaluation.

I agree with Bubbakush it can be effective for PWP i have the sleep pattern from hell hence my replying to this post at 03.25, 

i went to my gp to see if i could get it prescribed to help with sleeping i was told it is only available to people whom have the misfortune to have a chronic form of MS and you have to write to the sec of state and ask not to be prosecuted, so instead of getting a little bit high and getting at least 6 hrs sleep each might i am on sleeping tablets without the likelihood of getting of them

I use cannabis for my PD, and it has a more dramatic effect than any prescribed meds without giving me any unpleasant side effects.  I would say it's like most drugs in that it will help some people, have no effect on some people, and have a negative effect on others.  It works for me - reduces tremor and dystonia and enables me to relax to a degree. 

1 Like
Hello selfbuild is it solids you smoke heard a lot bad things about skunk pickles the brain

Hi Gus

I have used both with success.  The secret with skunk is to buy stuff that has been harvested for medical effect.  Growers are so keen to harvest as soon as possible rather than allowing the buds to mature, decrease THC and increase CBD.  THC is what gives you a cerebral high, whereas CDB is more of a relaxed high.

I usually vaporise rather than smoke, and have  also cooked with it to provide an edible, which is much more discreet.

Cheers,

Ian

cheers ian

Hi, Cannabinoid oil is another option- and it's now easily and legally available because it contains very little THCs. The company selling is called Elixinol. Www.elixinol.co.uk. I'm going to get it for my dad who has Parkinson's. Bought some for my own aches, pains and psoriasis. Tried it last might and can assure you there was no high. :) Slept very well though. Bob

will have a look cheers bob

just had a quick look but do not know what one to start of on sent email to them ,bit pricey so want to get rigth one ! what do you use bob

A friend of mine has recently started using this to help her involuntarily movements with success thankfully it also helping her with constipation. No names mentioned as drug is illegal she has a friend whom can obtain it for her. Its about time it was legalised as proven to be beneficial for us.......

Hi bb have you looked at cbdbrobrothers website it's legal and theres hardly any thc in it that make you brain dead ask ian for more help 

I tried Sativex for a month, for tremor dominant PWP. No benefit so am giving up on that - starting to try near infra red light to empower my mitochondria.
You need a letter/email from your consultant. You must have tried other drugs with no success. In Wales your NHS GP can then prescribe. In rest of UK we have to go private. With Dickson Online I paid £45 for the phone consultation with a prescribing Pharmacist, then £422 for a months supply. Well worth it as an investigation.
Dave