Care Home advice (Scotland)

Hello, I am hoping someone has some advice around care homes in Scotland.

I have a question that is hypothetical but I need to ask it for the sake of my long suffering partner. I’ve had PD for 15 years, my partner (we never married) of 20 years has lived with me in my flat for the last 10 years. I have left her everything in my will, but I need to know what would happen if that day comes when we can’t cope at home and I need to live elsewhere, ie a care home. She’s not on the title deeds etc, we’re in Scotland in case that makes any difference, Will she lose her home to pay for my care? Or will I be unable to get care because I don’t want her to lose her home and we’ll be ‘stuck’.

Any advice around this topic would be much appreciated.

I’m so worried about it and don’t know what to do for the best.

GET MARRIED? MAY WELL IMPROVE HER LEGAL RIGHTS. CONSULT A SOLICITOR ABOUT THIS, AND SETTING UP POWER OF ATTORNEY.strong text

Hello Andymiller99 … I have Parkinson’s & my GP referred me to the local PCN care people. I live alone & am single. She visited my flat & was able to talk through all my concerns.

She arranged Attendance Allowance for me [£290 extra a month]. Also got me a disability badge & free flat improvements. Raised settee, handrails etc.

All free & I can now cope a lot better.

Not sure what Scotland’s like.

Best of luck
Steve2

Do not worry. As long has your partner lives in the house, the local authority needs to disregard it from their calculations. They cannot put a charge against the house and they cannot force you to sell if it is her home… even if she is not married to you or on the title deeds

This is from a paper by Age UK:

5.1 Mandatory disregards If you enter a care home permanently, your interest in your existing ‘main or only’ home is usually taken into account as capital. However, the value should be disregarded from the financial assessment if you no longer occupy the home but it is still occupied, in part or whole, as their main or only home by:
:black_circle: your spouse, partner, former partner, or civil partner, except where you are estranged
:black_circle: a lone parent who is your estranged or divorced partner
:black_circle: a relative of yours, or member of your family, who is: :black_circle: aged 60 or over, or :black_circle: a child of yours aged under 18, or :black_circle: ‘incapacitated’.

Here is the link to the paper: https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/factsheets/fs38_property_and_paying_for_residential_care_fcs.pdf

1 Like