Caring for Dad

Hi everyone,

My name is Lauren and my father has Parkinson's.  He was diagnosed in 2009 but I believe he has had the condition for much longer. 

My dad is in his mid 70's.  He is on the max dose of his medication.  He lives alone but we see each other often as we live in the same area. 

I have noticed that over the past couple of years his condition has worsened.  His mobility is deteriorating as is his movement control. 

We have talked about him selling his house and buying an adapted flat in my local area (I cannot drive and my partner is partially blind so he can't either.)  He still drives but is planning on scaling down his car usage.  He has always driven and his mobility is limited.  He also lives in a small town so having no transport would be a major issue (the town where I live has very good rail links, better amenites and more access to public transport.)

Sorry if this is a bit long winded I'm just trying to give a full picture.  Has anyone else been in the situation of having to make these kind of  decisions or be involved in making them, either as a Parkinson's sufferer or a carer?  I would love to hear your thoughts and any advice you may have.  Take care everyone xx

Hello Cherryblossom

Welcome to the Forum.  Other people have asked this difficult question, to drive or not to drive, and replies seem to focus on how the driver would feel if the Parkinson`s caused them to have an accident that injured some-one.  Parkinson`s UK does a booklet about the rights and responsibilities of driving when having PD.  I found it by typing driving into the search box at the top of the page.

Downsizing is probably a good idea and it is always easier to settle in a new area while still able to get out and about to meet people and make new friends.  And perhaps the consultant could suggest a different medication that would help your father.  Good luck and hope you can negotiate a way out of the problems.

Hatknitter