Cars

Hi everyone

Any recommendations for cars that are easier to get in and out of? Also any features you’d recommend (automatic, parking brake ++?) Husband has Parkinsons and I have a bad back. 2 kids aged 4 and 5 so we need minimum 5 seats.

Thanks!

Hi @RMH,

Welcome to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m sure you’ll receive some helpful tips from our members soon. However, in the meantime, you can check out the ‘Driving’ section on our website for advice on how make driving easier and safer. You can find this information here - https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/vehicle-adaptations-and-exemptions

I hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Reah

Great thank you Reah!

1 Like

Cars can be tricky o ly advice I would offer is go and try lots of makes and models as there is so much choice and difference I Height of seats and door width access. Depending on how PD is affecting hubby will also be a big factor. In my case I have issues with left leg so an automatic was a no brained and I settled on a Kia Venga. Love the car and they way it drives.
Just checking that hubby has informed DVLA and insurance company, if not you need to do that first as DVLA may put a medical requirement on his licence and a review period. Mine was reissued with a 3 year limit before I have to reapply. Also consider applying to local council for a blue badge as wider parking spaces certainly makes life easier. Hope this helps.

When we were looking for a new car, my mother-in-law was a frequent passenger and she had severe mobility problems.
We ended up with a Subaru Forester but I expect most SUV type vehicles will be similar.
High enough that you don’t have to bend but not so high you need a foot stool.

The doors open wide allowing helpers to get close enough, and get a wheelchair there as well.
The sill under the door was very narrow, allowing the travelers legs to hang down of the edge of the seat. It saves a lot of shuffling.

I will have to get rid on my MG soon because I find it getting more difficult as I age.

Jim