CBD and medication mixes

Hi All,

Firstly I want to start off confirming that I am not looking for medical advice, just people’s experiences and opinions. I do intend on speaking to my dad’s doctor when we can get an appointment. Has anyone found their doctor open to the idea of using CBD?

My father is on what I consider to be quite a cocktail of drugs and from what I have looked into they are for his blood pressure and his PD (is there a glossary thread for the acronyms someone can point me to?). I think I have convinced both my dad and mum that his medication needs a review, but I have also been looking at CBD as an option as it seems to tick a lot of boxes for what he needs help with, pain relief, sleep, anxiety/panic attacks, to name a few. The problem I have is that I have read that if a medicine says not to consume grapefruit you should also not take CBD. In contrast I have read that this is a guideline and the reactions are different for each medication with this warning and in some cases actually show no reaction.

So, the details, the medication in question is Felodipine which is apparently a calcium channel blocker. Has anyone here taken either this medication, or another medication with a NO GRAPEFRUIT warning with CBD and how did it work for you?

His current PD medications are:
Co-careldopa 25mg/100mg 4x a day
Co-careldopa 12.5mg/50mg 4x a day
Trihexyphenidyl 2mg 2x a day

Other medications:
Allopurinol 300mg 1 daily (reduce uric acid)
Candesartan 16mg 1 daily (blood pressure)
Candesartan 8mg 1 daily (blood pressure)
Felodipine 10mg (modified release) 1 daily (blood pressure)

Alternatively, if anyone has any suggestions on things that will alleviate his “constant dull pain all over”, as he described it, I’m all ears.

Thanks in advance

Have you tried medical cannabis?

I didn’t even know that was a thing in the UK.

I know that there are authorised levels of the CBD, but I don’t know he wants the THC side of it

1 Like

I think the CBD oil on it’s own is ineffective. You need the thc component as well. I have tried CBD oil for a few months (30mg) with no benefits. Maybe I need a stronger dosage. But I reckon that medical cannabis is the real deal.

Hi, I’ll tell you my experience of using CBD. At one time, I had big problems with sleeping due to stress. And I went to the doctor, who prescribed me potent sedatives and sleeping pills, but I didn’t want to take these pills because I know that if you start using them, they make you dependent, and I don’t want to be dependent on something. Then I came across this site tillmanstranquils.com and I thought, why not try products with THC and CBD, because as far as I know, some people use similar products to fall asleep. And I tried it anyway and was shocked by the fact that literally after taking THC gum, I was sleepy. And when I had already overcome this problem, I gave up all these substances, and now I live everyday life.

CBD oil was a waste of time for me. My therapist suggested it after I claimed about sleeping problems and stress. It didn’t help, and I gave up because it started to become an addiction.

Hi there,

It’s understandable that you’re seeking experiences and opinions from others on the use of CBD for your father. It’s important to note that CBD may interact with certain medications, and it’s always a good idea to consult with your dad’s doctor before making any changes to his medication regimen.

As for your question about Felodipine and CBD, the interaction between the two is not well studied. While grapefruit can inhibit the enzyme that metabolizes Felodipine, CBD may have a different mechanism of action. That being said, it’s still important to consult with your dad’s doctor before introducing CBD.

Regarding your dad’s “constant dull pain all over”, there are various approaches to pain management, including medication, physical therapy, and alternative therapies such as acupuncture. It’s best to discuss options with your dad’s doctor and see what might be most appropriate for him.

I hope this helps, and I wish you and your family all the best.

Hello
Are you planning on using a clinic or just order CPD online yourselves? The good thing about a clinic is that part of the initial consultation will include having signed permission to GP records and the clinic will have the existing list of medication for review. I would feel its unlikely the THC form will be prescribed due to the heart medication. In my father’s case the NHS consultant recommended against even CPD due to possible increased falls risk, increase in appetite and its relaxation effect working against the medication being prescribed to stimulate mobility. I dont know if that will be the same for all as PD can affect each patient very differently

It’s always best to get your dad’s doctor’s opinion on it though. As for CBD and medication interactions, it can vary depending on the specific meds.

We are specially asked by the doctors, if any previous medication is on or not. I’m new to CBD and ordered CBD Armour oil for my insomnia and stress disorder. And I’m ok with the effects. At least I get proper sleep now. I would suggest you to take a second opinion from another doctor before treading ahead in the same direction.