CHC

Hello everyone. My mother in law has been living with Parkinson’s for a few years, during the last year she has deteriorated very quickly I’m sad to say. My father in law was doing a great job caring for her but her falls became more frequent and she would hallucinate and become quite verbally aggressive towards him.
Unfortunately things took a turn in September and she was admitted to hosptital following a fall that broke her clavicle.
She was discharged back home a few days later, however she was not well enough and the ambulance was called after just 2 hours.
From hospital she was discharged to a care home for assessment. It has been decided that she needs a high level of care and has to be supervised by 2 carers when attempting to walk. She now also has Lewy’s body dementia and cannot communicate with visiting family members, She has also become double incontinent and has frequent water infections. It seems she is getting worse very quickly. This is aggravated for us as a family as visits are far and few between and as with everybody in this situation it is heartbreaking, A CHC meeting was held via zoom and it was decided that her clinical needs do not meet the criteria for help with funding. Has anyone had any luck appealing these decisions, unfortunately she has been deemed unable to make her own decisions and thus we need to get a deputyship through the lawyer, tis can take many months in the mean time father in law is using his money to pay. His health is declining rapidly and all the paperwork and bills are very confusing for him. Can anybody offer any advice on what he could do please? Many thanks.

Hi Mrsbeetlebum, we just wanted to step in and welcome you to our forum community. Doubtless, our lovely forum regulars will have some advice for you, but please also visit our website at Parkinsons.org.uk or call us at 0808 800 0303. Our reps will be happy to help you find some local resources, and answer any questions you have. The call is free and confidential, and our reps are learned and wonderfully helpful.
We know Parkinson’s comes with these challenges, and we want you to know you are not alone, and among friends who have been where you are.
Please accept our best wishes,
Jason
Moderation Team

Thank you very much. Merry Christmas