Claw hand advice

Hi everyone. Can I ask if anyone has ever had any medical help with hand contractures due to Parkinson’s?
My father-in-law has 3 of his fingers on his left hand curled round into his palm. They seem to be stuck there and his nails have dug into the flesh causing it to bleed. This is causing him a lot of pain. We have nurses who visit to dress it and it doesn’t look infected but I’ve read that doctors can inject with botox type muscle relaxants to release the tensed muscles.
Has anyone ever had any success with asking a doctor to do this? Can anyone suggest anything else to help? We’ve tried giving him things to curl his fingers around to keep them away from his palm but just getting them in place causes him so much pain it is almost impossible and they always seem to slip out after half an hour or so.anyway.Thank you.

Hi @Dott,

I’m very sorry to hear about the problems your father-in-law has been experiencing with very painful hands. If you’d like to speak to one of our advisers about this please do give our helpline desk a call on 0808 800 0303 from Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm, Saturday: 10am-2pm (Closed Sundays/bank holidays).

Best wishes,
Reah

Thank you Reah. I’ll do that.

1 Like