Cognitive Behavioural Therapy

Hi. I was interested in the mention of the benefits of CBT in a thread about meds. It sounds very interesting and I was wondering how people have accessed this. Can you get it on the NHS or is it just available privately? Any advice if I want to pursue this? Thanks
Hi jellywoman

CBT is available on the NHS but when I tried to access it there was a 6 month waiting list so i was forced to go private. CBT has helped me immeasurably in coming to terms with PD, depression and stammering.

I wrote a post on my blog about CBT:

http://dialoguewithdisability.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/the-mental-challenge-of-parkinsons.html

dr jonny
My husband and I were referred to a neuropsychologist after his horrific side effects from D As.The Parkinson's nurse persuaded her to take us on and the CBT based counselling helped us both enormously.This was all on the NHS.We received 18 months of help and are so grateful.
Perhaps you need to start with your GP and consultant neurologist and see what they can find out about help in your area.
Good luck!
GG
X
Hi

I was referred for CBt when I began suffering extreeme anxiety when a passenger in a car, and also for OCD tendencies.

It helped brilliantly with the passanger anxiety issues and to a lesser extent with the OCD stuff.

With me it all comes down to being in control, probably because the one thing I can't control is the lovely PD.
I have just had an introductory 1:1 cbt session. The neuro psychologist just listened and explained what he did and that he felt he could help me. I am really looking forward to it.
S dog
Thanks for the replies. I will definitely follow this up.