'Conductive Education' Google it now!

If you really want to take control of your life before your life is taken over by Parkinson’s, make enquiries about Conductive Education in your area, if it’s available don’t delay book yourself onto the first available session.

Anyone tried Conductive Education yet?

I was diagnosed over six years ago and, for the last year and a half, have been attending a weekly Conductive Education group at the Rainbow Centre in Fareham Hampshire, about 20 miles from where I live. Quite honestly I think it is one of the best things I ever did and I’m convinced it’s has slowed down the progress of my physical symptoms as well as helping to stop the slide into depression and some of the other possible consequences of this disease. I know that others in the group feel the same way. We have a superb team of Hungarian therapists working with us and also with separate groups of MS patients, those recovering from strokes as well as children with cerebral palsy. I just hope this Brexit lunacy doesn’t interfere with their work. If you have such a resource near where you live grab it with both hands.

While I am here; one moan. It would be helpful if Parkinsons UK was better at signposting local CE provision. I only knew about it thanks to a chance remark from my consultant. When I went into this PUK website to find out more there was no mention of it beyond a general statement in complementary therapies. Hopefully things will get better here.

I would also like to put in a good word for Conductive Education. I was diagnosed about 4 years ago and have been attending fortnightly sessions run by the National Institute for Conductive Education Centre for Movement Disorders, which is a charitable organisation based in Birmingham. I go to their outreach sessions in Cheltenham. The sessions involve activities and movement exercises covering everyday tasks, our movements being systematically corrected by the highly-trained Conductors. The technique aims to achieve better control and movement by neuroplasticity, where lost or deteriorating movement can be relearnt as the brain and nervous system “patches round” the damaged nerve and brain cells. The technique was invented a few decades ago by Dr Peto, a Hungarian. Most of the Conductors have trained at the Peto Institute in Cheltenham. In conclusion, I am convinced I have got benefit from these sessions.

I couldn’t agree more. I was diagnosed 6 years ago and have regularly attended CE sessions in Leominster, which is a 50 mile round trip for me but worth every drop of petrol. The excercises are geared to daily living and offer many coping mechanisms. Although I have a bad tremor I am still walking normally without falling and able to write without micrographics taking over. It is a pity that more publicity isn’t given to this therapy as it really works

I have been getting the benefit of Conductive Education for ten years and cannot praise it too highly. It gives me strategies to overcome the trials of daily life , such as getting out of bed , walking across a road without stumbling on the kerbs or getting up from the table in a restaurant without making a fool of myself by falling over. If you are thinking of trying it , your local centre will give you an assessment , free of charge . It is not for everyone but , without trying it , you will never know . If you find it suits you , believe me , you will face the future with added confidence.

1 Like

Having looked into it, maybe the reason it isn’t heard of that much is there are relatively few centres that deliver this, and a big percentage
are set up only for children and young people (as is the case of the only one within possible rach of me - two buses, and a walk either end). seem to concentrate on children and young people. To find one that mentions adults the journey would much too far to travel to be even feasible. Add to the financial cost of travel, for those who could manage it, the only session cost I found was about £30 a session, again this will price a lot of people out.
I am being realistic, not pessimistic. It may well be marvellous for those who can get to these centres and an afford the session price, but I guess for each person who can, there are an awful lot who cannot.

When I first attended Conductive Education sessions 12 years ago I travelled 40 miles each way because that was the nearest centre at that time. I am now fortunate enough to have a very professional provider much closer to home. I know that my life would be quite different if I hadn’t attended sessions regularly and I am hoping to spread the word to all fellow sufferers that are willing and able to access Conductive Education. I understand that it is not suitable for all but it would be good if newly diagnosed patients were aware of Conductive Education and let them decide.

I am happy that it helps you, however I think you are missing my point, it is not whether it is suitable, more that it is totally inaccessible to the majority of PWP through lack of classes/unable to travel/unable to afford. Maybe if it the classes have more availabilty at affordable fees or via NHS then it may be used by more. From what I understand you have been accessing this for many years, so it seems to be something that has to be continued indefinitely. Hence how many places are needed to allow even a third of PWP access the sessions.
On another point, there are many other problems that arise through PD, do these session help with anything other than how to move?
I am interested but it just seems like only a few will ever benefit.

Thank you it does help me, that is why I would like everyone with Parkinson’s to at least be aware that Conductive Education is out there. Conductive Education funded by the NHS would an ideal solution for me. You learn techniques to help you cope with situations that occur in your daily routine for example how to roll over in bed to enable you to get out of bed, how to walk without dragging you affected leg, how to keep your handwriting legible, how to do your buttons up, how to make you voice loud and clear for all to hear and understand. The list goes on and on, if you are interested in Conductive Education you can contact your nearest provider and I am sure they would answer any questions you may have far more professionally than I can.

Thank you, it does sound very useful.
Rose

Hi, have been attending Rainbow Centre in Fareham for the past 4 years. I firmly believe that it has helped me tremendously. I was diagnosed over 6 years ago and at present have a tremor in my right hand and sometimes in my right leg. I feel that the centre has helped my with my co-ordination and confidence. I have not yet fallen over and can actually hold a knife and fork without nearly stabbing anyone or coating the person next to me with my food. They have showed me ways of standing, getting out of bed, fastening clothes with buttons. Writing without looking like a two year old has gone mad with a pen.
They are always so positive and helpful towards you, And its really good to mix in person with people with your disability and discuss the ups and downs that plaque us all. Check it out you will not be disappointed

2 Likes

Hi @Littlefield21,

Apologies for my delayed response. I’ve been trying to gather more information on this from my colleagues.

To my knowledge, we also have an online lookup tool now and there are plans in the near future to make clinical therapies (which includes conductive education) available to the public on our website. This means that we will be able to signpost to such things as the Rainbow Centre so that more people affected by Parkinson’s can access them.

I’ll keep the forum posted on the progress of this.

Best wishes,
Reah