Confused after seeing a consultant

It always amazes me when I hear of people having a datscan/MRI BEFORE their diagnosis, I have not had a datscan and only had an MRI a month after my diagnosis, not sure if I should be concerned or not but trying to put it to the back of my mind

hi ninja

datscans are only really useful to people whose diagnosis is doubtful. some of us, including myself could be diagnosed by a decent neuro in 10 seconds.  your not missing out on anything important. the best diagnosis tests are walking down the corridor, turning your wrist, tapping your fingers etc. all very cheap, quick and reliable.

Exactly! after all the expensive tests I was diagnosed by a neuro just by walking up and down etc, What a waste of money for the N.H.S, apparently the D.A.T scan is very expensive and so is the M.R.I. not to mention the weeks of anxiety waiting for the results.

Hi turnip

at least the timing of my MRI is good it's this Thursday and I see the consultant again on th 5th March so he should have the results of that at hand and hopefully he will give his diagnosis this time round 

hi cparro

good luck. if not, a new consultant?

MRIs are routine to check for the very unlikely occurrence of tumours, stroke etc.

since missing one can be a tad terminal, it does seem worthwhile.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/info/parkinsons-disease/parkinsons-disease-diagnosis.php

tells all!!!!!

cheers

God, it's so depressing. I'm 36, I don't have kids or a partner, I've gone back to college (which I worked very hard and at and the results reflect that) but now the future is just gone. All the plans, the dreams are over and replaced by public embarrassment and misery for our families.           

Obviously I'm still at the anger stage of coping. Sorry for the negativity. 

Hi there HughesNewbie, I am sorry you feel so negative at the moment, Depression is very common with PD and you don`t mention how far into treatment you are, It could be that if you haven`t been on you`re meds very long that they haven`t kicked in yet. I too thought that the future was useless and that I wouldn`t be able too fulfill my ambition of working or setting up my own animal sanctuary, I haven`t worked for a while as I had too leave my job as it was a health and safety nightmare due to my PD. I don`t know how incapacitated I will become and neither do you, PD is very unpredictable and some people are lucky and go for many years with only mild effects while others sadly go downhill very quickly. Please don`t give up on any dreams you have for the future. I certainly am not, We can all support each other on this forum and help each other through the rough times we all will get. But don`t give up if you give up now the PD has already won. You have friends and support here we are all in the same boat, Please don`t let PD win.

Hi HughesNewbie

I'm sorry to hear you feel so let down after all your hard work & like Candy said I don't know how advanced your PD is and I hope what I'm about to say gives you some encouragement 

I'm a lot older than you and as yet I have not formally been diagnosed with PD and like you I to have no children or a partner so I understand your feeling of anger 

all my skills are with my hands and as such physically it is getting harder for me to do my job but mentally it's all there I'm a time served mechanic panel beater and sprayer and for the last 13 years I have run my own property maintenance business I have spent many a night wondering what the future hold in store for me and getting really annoyed about loosing the work I love doing so much

so I have taken a step back looked at all my skills & how I can apply them I'm looking at local charity housing association that house 16 - 25 year old's with a view to teaching basic decorating and joinery skills and helping them on the road with there independence 

it may well be that I do have PD and if that is the case then there is nothing I can do about it but it's not going to strip away everything I'm passionate about and love at least not without a fight 

so stay positive my friend and keep posting your thoughts on this site their are a lot of people on her with a lot of good advice

Take care

HI PAUL.....YOU WILL FIND THAT EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM IS SO SUPPORTIVE AND FRIENDLY. I RECENTLY JOINED AND ALTHOUGH FAMILY AND FRIENDS ARE THERE FOR YOU, NOBODY UNDERSTANDS AS WELL AS SOMEONE GOING THROUGH  THE SAME THING. YOUR LIFE IS NOT OVER...FAR FROM IT......IT HAS CHANGED AND YOU WILL FIND THE BEST WAY TO COPE WITH THAT. ONCE YOU HAVE MEDICATION WELL BALANCED YOU WILL START TO FEEL MORE POSITIVE, ALSO KEEP EXERCISING, IT IS AMAZING HOW IT LIFTS THE SPIRITS AS DOES CHATTING ON HERE TO ALL OF US THAT UNDERSTAND AND ARE THERE FOR YOU. IT IS A S...T THING THAT HAS HAPPENED TO YOU BUT YOU KNOW WHAT.? S...T HAPPENS, WHAT IS IMPORTANT IS HOW YOU DEAL WITH IT big grinAND YOU WILL.....KEEP SMILING MATEY AND ALL GOOD WISHES TO YOU

Hi HughesNewbie

I've little to add except to endorse all the above. Except to say, I think a little rant now and then does one good. You can have enough of relentless positivity!

I'm amazed at how many people there are here to support each other, whether positive or negative. Lots of advice and personal stories. And one from me; I felt probably my worst before starting treatment - all that what's the point of having me stuff - but the meds helped enormously, and two years on I'm working and contributing as good as ever. I'll bet you'll have the same experience.

Very best

Semele

Thanks everyone, you're ridiculously positive (given our shared predicament).

I'm in a very early stage where I've mild bilateral tremors so I'm not on any medications yet, and I actually haven't told anyone yet either. I'm still running/playing football etc so I can hide it- not one person has noticed my tremors. I don't want to tell anyone yet I think that's surrendering to my fate and I know it will crush my family- my grandmother has it too. I have so much to do at the moment, so many things on and I have no focus or interest in doing anything - but can't explain to anyone why my output is so poor in comparison to my usual work-rate.

I should be starting a teaching course in Sept. for two years and now I'm not sure if it's a wise thing to do(who would give me a job with PD?), but then I wonder how I will financially get by if I don't. So if you can't work anymore, how are you folks getting by financially? Surely not just on welfare (which isn't much)? 

I'm waking every morning hoping that it's just a bad dream - and then the shakes kick in. 

Paul

HI PAUL....YOU ARE STILL IN SHOCK, THAT IS UNDERSTANDABLE, AND YES OF COURSE YOUR FAMILY WILL BE UPSET ESPECIALLY AS YOU ARE SO YOUNG. IT IS AMAZING HOW WE CAN DISGUISE THINGS TO PROTECT OTHERS ISN'T IT? YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY FOR A GREAT CAREER AND HAVE STUDIED HARD TO ACHIEVE THIS....DON'T THINK ABOUT THROWING IT ALL AWAY. HAVING SOMETHING GOOD TO FOCUS ON HELPS AND BECOMING ANXIOUS DEFINITELY MAKES TREMORS WORSE. I USED TO THINK THAT I WAS SHAKING BECAUSE I WAS HUNGRY AND FOOD ALWAYS SEEMED TO HELP A LITTLE (PLUS IT WAS A GOOD EXCUSE TO TUCK IN AND NOT FEEL GUILTY)!! BUT OF COURSE WE NOW KNOW WHAT WAS CAUSING IT, THOUGH THE MEDS HAVE MADE A BIG DIFFERENCE AND ALTHOUGH I HAVE APPARENTLY HAD PD FOR APPROX 5 YEARS DOCS THINK....  PEOPLE SAY THEY WOULD NEVER KNOW. I DANCE REGULARLY, WALK, HELP MY ELDERLY MUM, AND HAVE BEEN A HAIRDRESSER FOR 45 YEARS AND THOUGH PARTLY RETIRED I STILL ENJOY MY TRADE AND KEEP MY HAND IN. THE RIGHT HAND DOESN'T QUITE WORK AS WELL AS IT ONCE DID, BUT I'M LEFT HANDED SO NO PROBLEM  AY ?smileKEEP TALKING...THAT HELPS...KEEP UP THE EXERCISE.....AND KEEP ON THIS FORUM...AND DON'T FEEL BAD IF YOU WANT A GOOD OLD SHOUT AND SCREAM....I'M SURE WE ALL DO AT TIMES. BEST WISHES TO YOU.wink

This is interesting thanks to both as I see a consultant next Thursday so know what to expect !

brends

Hi HughesNewbie,

To sort of answer you`re question, Yes at the moment I am on sickness benefit, You are right it isn`t much but got no choice at the moment. My job was quite physical lugging equipment around and up and down stars etc, I just could not do it anymore and of course the health and safety issues if I fell etc. So at the moment I claim ESA, which is a benefit for people not well enough to claim job seekers allowance. I am looking for a part time easy job, A sit down desk job would be perfect, But I fear that when I tell A potential employer that I have Parkinsons I will not see them for dust! You of course have to be honest on application forms so I would have to tell them and according to so called human and equality rights I should not be discrimnated against because of my condition, But if an employer was faced with either choosing me or an energetic healthy person who do you think he`d pick! So I think at the moment I am stuck between a rock and a hard place, Keep looking and trying I suppose!

candy. do you get the support group on your esa ! bit more money aweek

Hi Gus, No what`s that I have never heard of it, What do you have to do to apply for it?

because you have a disabilty its most likely that it will be harder for you to get a job! its called support group,phone social up and ask if you can go in this.you can apply for it i think on about the 10th week of being on esa,then it gets back dated from the 14th week.you can fill the forms in with your parkinsons information support worker,then atos will acess you.do you get any dla.now called pip.its a mine field out there but there is support.support group is about 34 pound extra week.then pip you can get 420 a month highest rates.you can phone puk for more info.

Great thanks Gus I will look into it on Monday, I always feel guilty claiming things but I suppose needs must, I have paid taxes so I guess I am getting back some I have paid in. Thanks for advice.

thats ok !

candy .little tip when filling out forms, always do your worse day of symptoms,and send as much information you can ie,pictures & list of meds,gp letter,consultant,pd nurse.AND TRY AND GET HELP FILLING THEM IN.PD INFORMATION SUPPORT WORKER .LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GET ON.REAL PEOPLE WITH REAL ILLNESS SHOULD GET IT !