Constant Change of diagnosis

Hi My husband was diagnosed with Parkinsonism in 2014. A year later he was sent for assessment re dementia. Second consultant said he did not have Pk but Leukoarosis. However he was so rude to my husband after a second visit he refused to go again. A memory team was sent to assess and later got a diagnosis of Alzheimers and Parkinsonism or Pk +. Saw original consultant - pretty senior and she agreed he had most of this. As things have moved along and he has had a number of collapses over the last 2 years a new MRI scan was done. This showed a lot of fluid and a likely diagnosis was normal pressure hydrocephalus. However after 2 lumbar punctures we are now told he has Alzheimers and nothing else. ( by junior consultant) Whilst I am aware he certainly has some form of dementia, but not necessarily Alzheimers he certainly had Pk symptoms when all this started. Every time we get our heads around the diagnosis the goal posts change again. Has anyone else had this kind of experience please? He does very well on memory tests. He has more spacial awareness problems along with very poor balance.

Hi @Clippy69, welcome to the forum.

I’m sorry to hear about the journey that you and your husband have been through to try and get a diagnosis. I’m sure you will hear from others here on the forum who have sadly had challenges getting to a diagnosis too.

If you would like to talk any of this through with our experienced advisers please do ring them on 0808 800 0303 from Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm, Saturday: 10am-2pm.

You might also find it helpful to look at information about the different types of Parkinsonism on our website.

Best wishes,
Katie
Forum moderation team

Hi I would definitely speak to the healthline and your own GP. To have so many changes of diagnosis ie appalling and at best cruel.
Good luck